error on cifs attached datastore

macor64

Aug 8, 2018
So with the release of PBS "stable". I loaded a vm and mounted a cifs volume from my synology nas. I was able to configure and run backups to the datastore with no problems. When I tried running a manual garbage collection from the gui, I got the following error:

2020-11-16T18:46:39-05:00: TASK ERROR: unable to get exclusive lock - EACCES: Permission denied

when I tried running it from CLI, It asked for my root password and then I got:

starting garbage collection on store macvault
TASK ERROR: unable to get exclusive lock - EACCES: Permission denied

I rebooted, tried again and after supplying my password;

root@pxbs:~# proxmox-backup-client garbage-collect --repository macvault
Password for "root@pam": *********
starting garbage collection on store macvault
Start GC phase1 (mark used chunks)
percentage done: phase1 2% (1 of 45 index files)
percentage done: phase1 4% (2 of 45 index files)

So, I'm scratching my head as to why I'm getting an error and what i can do to resolve it permanently.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Hi,
I guess the client cache setting is wrong,
Do to use any client cache for NFS and CIFS.

To answer this question can you please send your mount options.

Code:
mount | grep <mountpoint>

Last edited:
Hi, we have the same problem using synology share, here is my /etc/fstab:

Bash:
//192.168.6.12/pbs01_be****     /mnt/pbs01_be****       cifs    uid=34,noforceuid,gid=34,noforcegid,credentials=/root/.smbcredential,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0,noperm,cache=none 0 0
//192.168.6.12/pbs01_abz     /mnt/pbs01_abz       cifs    uid=34,noforceuid,gid=34,noforcegid,credentials=/root/.smbcredential,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0,noperm,cache=none 0 0

as you can see i tried adding cache=none but after a backup same error.

This is what a mount | grep <mountpoint> gives:

Bash:
//192.168.6.12/pbs01_be**** on /mnt/pbs01_be**** type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=3.0,cache=none,username=admin,uid=34,noforceuid,gid=34,noforcegid,addr=192.168.6.12,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,noperm,rsize=4194304,wsize=4194304,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)

@abzsol Are you able to delete/check your snapshots on a nfs mount with your configuration? In short, are you encountering problems ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!