[SOLVED] Enable secure boot on Windows 10 VM

PizzaYolo

Jun 18, 2023
Hello everyone,

I am trying to enable secure boot on a Windows 10 pro VM in order to upgrade it to Windows 11 (requierement of PC health check app for the upgrade).
This is what I am doing :

- Adding a EFI Disk (efitype=4m, pre-enrolled-keys)1, size=1M) to the VM.
- Changing the BIOS from SeaBIOS (Default) to OVMF (UEFI)
- Starting the VM, in boot menu check that secure boot is enabled ==> yes.
- Save, exit and reboot the VM

But when the boot sequence starts, it can not start on the VM disk (first choice in boot order), but it can start on the other choices (CD/DVD, PXE...).
As soon as I change again the BIOS parameter from OVMF (UEFI) to SeaBIOS, then the VM boots up again correctly but Windows doesn't seem to detect the parameter "secure boot".

Any idea of what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks,

you can't easily switch existing Windows install between SeaBIOS / OVMF (UEFI) like on real hardware.
Because boot loader differ and partitionning too.
it can be done, but it's out of the scope of proxmox ve.
Perhaps some Windows forums has tuto to do it.

bypass requirements for Windows 11 will be more easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunuin
you can't easily switch existing Windows install between SeaBIOS / OVMF (UEFI) like on real hardware.
Because boot loader differ and partitionning too.
it can be done, but it's out of the scope of proxmox ve.
Perhaps some Windows forums has tuto to do it.

bypass requirements for Windows 11 will be more easy.

So would it be better to choose OVMF (UEFI) BIOS when I create my VM and not changing it afterward maybe ?
Before trying bypassing Windows 11 requierements I want at least to try to fullfill them, but thanks I will keep that in mind if I dont find a solution.

Hello again,

it worked, thanks for your help ! :D
Now I am just wondering why Windows update doesn't offer to download and install the Windows 11 upgrades (even after a reboot) since all the requierements are good now.
Maybe there is some kind of delay ?

1689980290375.png

Hello again,

it worked, thanks for your help ! :D
Now I am just wondering why Windows update doesn't offer to download and install the Windows 11 upgrades (even after a reboot) since all the requierements are good now.
Maybe there is some kind of delay ?

View attachment 53333

In case someone is wondering, if PC Health Check is saying that everything is OK with the requierements but Windows update doesn't allow to upgrade then just use this workaround, it worked for me :

https://www.itechlounge.net/2022/07...equirement-but-windows-update-says-it-dosent/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!