Emergency Mode after each reboot

CBenson

Jan 24, 2017
Hello,

We have 8 proxmox machines in a cluster, four of them were installed with the 4.2 ISO and the other four were installed with the 4.4 ISO.

We updated the 4.2 to 4.4 using the community updates. These four machines sv1n1 to sv1n4 are having issues booting up, the Emergency mode message pops up and pressing Control D to continue allows it to boot. The last four machines sv2n1 to sv2n4 can reboot and start without any issues.

When it boots it tries to perform three start jobs

A start job is running for dev-pve-data.device
A start job is running for dev-pve-swap.device
A start job is running for udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization

I looked into the "journalctl -xb" log and found a few errors before pressing Control D

--------
Jan 24 13:36:50 sv1n1 systemd-sysv-generator[412]: Ignoring creation of an alias umountiscsi.service for itself
Jan 24 13:36:51 sv1n1 kernel: Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...
Jan 24 13:36:52 sv1n1 kernel: device-mapper: table: 251:1: multipath: error getting device
Jan 24 13:38:20 sv1n1 systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-pve-data.device.
Jan 24 13:38:20 sv1n1 systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /data.
Jan 24 13:38:20 sv1n1 systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
Jan 24 13:38:20 sv1n1 systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-pve-swap.device.
Jan 24 13:38:20 sv1n1 systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /dev/pve/swap.
Jan 24 13:38:20 sv1n1 systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Swap.
Jan 24 13:38:25 sv1n1 systemd[790]: Failed at step EXEC spawning /bin/plymouth: No such file or directory

(The Emergency Mode menu pops up telling me to press Control D to continue)

There is a multipath connection using four links to the iscsi server, however the other four machines sv2n1 to sv2n4 do not have any issues and have the same multipath configuration.

-----

After continuing, it tries to perform four start jobs

A start job is running for dev-pve-data.device
A start job is running for dev-pve-swap.device
A start job is running for udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization
A start job is running for LSB: Raise Network Interfaces

udev fails but I believe everything else starts up.

Is there a bug in proxmox 4.2 that causes this? Could this be a Debian issue? Our 4.4 machines are working without issues. All of our machines are production servers.

Thank you

It looks to me the multipath device is not available a boot time.
On my test lab I noticed it takes some time before the multipathed device is available in /dev
This is rather a multipath problem here and not a virtualization problem.

As an alternative
You could create a volume group on the multipathed device, and add the Volume group to PVE. So you would not need to mount anything on the slow-to-coalesce multipath device at boot time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!