DHCP with vxlan in pve 8.1.3

Gerbildral

Nov 18, 2023
Hi,

I'm testing the new SDN feature with some servers that are going in DC soon, I only get DHCP working with the simple zone.
I can recall that I read somewhere that it was only working with the simple zone, is that still true, and if so is there any idea when it will work with vxlan? like a month or like several months?
Or is there way to get it working with the config files?

It will implemented soon for other zone type.
For evpn (layer3 nework), some work need to be done to bind dnsmasq in different vrf.
for vlan/vxlan (layer2 network), We need some kind a /32 anycast ip inside the bridge. (still need some tests).

Nothing too difficult.

Personnally, I'll look at evpn first, as I need it in production. so maybe for next month.

Reactions: Gerbildral
Hello :) Are there any new information on this?
I would like to use DHCP in the vxlans to distribute cross-node DHCP addresses to vms, which are located there together. So far I have an openwrt that does this.

It seems that in 8.2 there is still no "DHCP" option in neither EVPN nor VXLAN settings.
Is there any news on this or some scripting way to get the DHCP option to work with them?

ok, thank you.

For now, I worked around it by installing pfSense in a vm to provide a dhcp server to the evpn and vxlan networks.
I had to switch the network device type in the pfsense vm from virtio to "rtl8139". Afterwards the VMs on any proxmox host receive dhcp leases in both evpn and vxlan.

it's not yet ready, prelimary patches has been sent to the dev mailing list.
Hello.

In 8.2.2 it is possible to define subnets and dhcp range) for the VLAN/VNet, but the VM do not get the Ip address from dhcp server. Its is correct for the current state-of-the-art? thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!