Determining Hardware Needs

arkestler

Apr 12, 2011
Hi,

I am evaluating how to implement virtualization for our orgainization. How can I figure out the requirements of a proxmox server/cluster based on the number/type of VM's to be running? I will be running approx 3-4 Windows Servers 2003 or 2008, approx 20 - 30 Win7 machines and an handful or so Debian vms.

Thanks,
Andrew

Depends a lot on the load.

Most important question: where do you store your VM disks? do you need live-migration? do you need redundant storage with DRBD?

I would like redundant shared storage with live migration available.
Hi,
whithout knowing the cpu + IO-load of your VMs (and storage needs) i would guess you need round 4 servers for that.
I have one cluster with 2 nodes, all drbd-filesystem and 32cores each - on this configuration i would only take an half of your VMs. But if your VM mainly idle - perhaps all.
But if one node fail - all VMs need to run on one node... this is why i think 4 servers (2 * 2) are better.
For DRBD (if you need performance) you need a fast interconnect. E.G. Dolphin-Nics, Infiniband or 10GB-Ethernet (has more latency).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!