[TUTORIAL] Deployment Tips

Stoiko Ivanov

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
May 2, 2018
Cool!

What about some info on how to train the bayes with externally stored mails? Mark mails as spam and deliver to users spam folder. Pmg needs to learn spam and ham based on information that users store in their mailbox.

What about a shared db for Bayes training info. This makes especially sense when using a cluster setup. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Currently all nodes have their own local training db which is lost if the server is lost?! This information is also not shared.

Thanks

The howto was aimed to get people starting out with PMG a good and fast start to an effective config (it's based for great parts on what we use ourselves).

As said in numerous other posts - in our current experience Bayes filtering does cause more harm than good in many setups (unless you really dedicate quite some time to train your bayes db).

Hi,

Maybe, if you want to make things very clear you can create some basic tutorials like this:

- the potential client have this: mail domain, some dns records, he use internal users and external users, and so on
- for this use case the user must done this: ....
- much better, but time consuming will be to create some ansible/whatever where the user will only modify only one file: dns domain mail .... what ever is need

In my opinion, I see a lot of PMX users, but not so many PMG users. I also told to my friends admins about PMX and PMG. PMX can be explain in one sentece,but for PMG ... proxy mail ... is not so simple to understood.

As a side note, I see on forum many users that do not have ... basic knowledge, but can understand basics about PMX. And I can do not say the same about PMG.

Take in account that maybe my opinion could not be true (I speak about what I see/know in my limited universe )

Good luck / Bafta

Hi,

Maybe, if you want to make things very clear you can create some basic tutorials like this:

- the potential client have this: mail domain, some dns records, he use internal users and external users, and so on
- for this use case the user must done this: ....
- much better, but time consuming will be to create some ansible/whatever where the user will only modify only one file: dns domain mail .... what ever is need

In my opinion, I see a lot of PMX users, but not so many PMG users. I also told to my friends admins about PMX and PMG. PMX can be explain in one sentece,but for PMG ... proxy mail ... is not so simple to understood.

As a side note, I see on forum many users that do not have ... basic knowledge, but can understand basics about PMX. And I can do not say the same about PMG.

Take in account that maybe my opinion could not be true (I speak about what I see/know in my limited universe )

Good luck / Bafta
What’s PMX?

Hello everyone !

I don't understand how PMG connects to the mail server and how the mail client connects to PMG?

pmg v8.03
In "actions" I can create a new field (field: "X-TEST", value: "Yes", for example).
It appears at the head of the email.
But I can't check its value in "what".
Other field checks in "what" work.

pmg v8.03
In "actions" I can create a new field (field: "X-TEST", value: "Yes", for example).
It appears at the head of the email.
But I can't check its value in "what".
Other field checks in "what" work.
Yes - this is expected - your rules are processed as follows:
* first 'from', 'when' and 'what' (this includes the MatchField for 'X-TEST') objects are evaluated
* then 'to' objects (as a mail can have multiple recipients)
* then the actions are executed in order (this is where the Mod Field adds the 'X-TEST' header)

so the header gets added after the check (which runs on the original mail)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!