Dell R730 not finding ZFS boot drive

thommo17

Feb 26, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I just installed the latest Proxmox VE onto a DellR730 with a PERC H730 running in HBA mode with 4 SSD's.

I set up the SSD's as a ZFS and it was showing 2 partitions. One named local and the other named local-ZFS and from what I understand the local partition was where the boot image would have been stored.

Now I have restarted the server and it doesn't recognise any of the SSD's as boot devices. It doesn't even give me the option to try and boot from them even though they are all being see by the H730. It only shows the CD/DVD drive and if I plug in the USB I used to install everything it will see that in the boot menu too.

It is booting in as BIOS and not UEFI and looking through the other options in the BIOS I can't see anything that might affect it.

Did I do something wrong by installing Proxmox onto the ZFS?
Any suggestions on something I can try out?

The pics attached are what I see on the boot menu and what happens if I select the H730 as a boot device

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2023-02-26 16_03_48-idrac-R730, PowerEdge R730, User_ matt, 1.0 fps.png
    2023-02-26 16_03_48-idrac-R730, PowerEdge R730, User_ matt, 1.0 fps.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2023-02-26 16_05_06-idrac-R730, PowerEdge R730, User_ matt, 4.4 fps.png
    2023-02-26 16_05_06-idrac-R730, PowerEdge R730, User_ matt, 4.4 fps.png
    303 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'd just like to update this for others who may have this issue.

I had to change boot mode in the BIOS from BIOS to UEFI. I also changed some settings in the H730 but they didn't seem to change anything before I went to UEFI mode.

Now it can see the SSD's as bootable and work fine

Reactions: mikeinnyc
Was this an H730 running in HBA mode? I think I ran into the exact same problem today. Good to know switching to UEFI mitigates the issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!