Dell r720xd hdd passthrough multiple vm?

rayhan17c

Mar 3, 2020
Hello,
So I was testing with disk passthrough with my 60tb raid 5 storage on dell 720 server and turns I can pass through the same disk on multiple vms at the same time! I can do r/w on both vms at the same time. I mean is it normal? I tried searching on google but couldn't find any similar article that talks about that. Is there will be any problem using a single HDD in multiple vms in passthrough mode? I will be using the HDD only storing and accessing large movie files.
Thanks, everyone.

When you talk about "disk passthrough" here, what exactly are you referring to? Could you post your VM configs to make it clearer?

In general, mounting any block device twice is a bad idea if the file systems on top don't know about it. This can lead to total data corruption if used incorrectly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!