Dedicated Server with Proxmox wanting to configure and use 3 IP's.

DanielP1221

Jan 20, 2023
United Kingdom
danielpearce.net
Hello everyone.
I have a proxmox server (suprise, suprise) and I have purchased 3 extra IP's from my host.
I am trying to figure out how exactly would I add the 3 IP's to my virtual machines like windows, ubuntu, debian
1681332914491.png

The image above is my current setup. All my vms are using vmbr0 at the minute sharing the same IP as the host system which isn't handy as I want to SSH into my virtual machines.

I hope you can help.
1681333549288.png

You make one big bridge vmbr0, attach the VMs to that bridge and configure the IPs inside the respective VMs. If you want to give the additional IPs to your VMs you dont need to set them anywhere in your Proxmox Host.

Adding an IP address to a bridge is like giving your Proxmox Host that IP address. In other words, "vmbr0" denotes both a linux bridge (something like a switch) and an interface owned by your Proxmox OS and attached to the bridge with the same name.

You make one big bridge vmbr0, attach the VMs to that bridge and configure the IPs inside the respective VMs. If you want to give the additional IPs to your VMs you dont need to set them anywhere in your Proxmox Host.

Adding an IP address to a bridge is like giving your Proxmox Host that IP address. In other words, "vmbr0" denotes both a linux bridge (something like a switch) and an interface owned by your Proxmox OS and attached to the bridge with the same name.
So would I be allowed/ok to remove the ip configuartion off the vmbr0 bridge and just add the IP's like you said within the os of the vm's or should I keep that and just continue to change the IP's of the vms with the OS.
Isn't the main proxmox host/web ui using whatever IP is set via vmbr0 if I cleared that?

if you want to access the hypervisor, it needs an address on one interface (it doesn't need to be vmbr0, it can also be a physical interface)

if you want to access the hypervisor, it needs an address on one interface (it doesn't need to be vmbr0, it can also be a physical interface)
So I have done as you said. I can still access the interface which is great. I don't need to make vmbr0 a port/slave of eno1 if I am giving all vm's vmbro as their network interface and adding the ip to them within the os config themselves right?1681406737698.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!