Debian vs Ubuntu LTS

Masi

Jan 15, 2018
Hello everybody,

what is the reason behind the fact that Proxmox is based on Debian 9.2 and not for example on an Ubuntu LTS ?

Regards
Masi

Are you aware that Ubuntu is based on Debian?

Hi tom,

yes i know that ubuntu is based on debian.

In the past i made the experience that ubuntu (lts) is much stable than debian.

We are running multiple gitlab-runner under debian stretch, they had many kernel panics but not under ubuntu 16.04 (lts).

I am not an ubuntu fan boy but these are our experiences.

Since systemd a lot of our server had problems during booting under debian but not under ubuntu 16.04 .

I know these are subjective experiences but it looks to me that ubuntu is making a greater effort to find solutions for current problems.

Best regards
Masi

The reason why I asked this question is to find out the arguments by the proxmox team why they took debian as base distribution.

It is only my curiosity :)

Thx for the answer.

Do you have an example ?

We are testing at the moment Proxmox and it looks great.

Our old setup consists of debain jessie + vanilla qemu/kvm + libvirt + qcow2 from default repo. for a while we are fighting with freezing vms und the only way to solve the problem is by making a hard reset.

we tried to debug the pid with strace without luck (no interesting output).

at the moment we are converting some test machine (hdd) to raw format and we hope that this would maybe help to solve the problem.

did you made similar experiences with freezing vms ?

Regards
Masi

Last edited:
Do you have an example ?

For example the Ubuntu 'upstart' disaster.

did you made similar experiences with freezing vms ?

No. Please notice that we use Debian as base system, but we use a much newer kernel based on the Ubuntu kernel.

Reactions: fireon
this is my last question :)

if you are using a newer kernel based on the Ubuntu kernel.

Would it make sense that the whole system would base on an Ubuntu LTS because today the major distris are using systemd (concerning upstart' disaster )?

Is there a probability that Proxmox would base on Ubuntu one day ?

Regards
Masi

Something that everybody was not mentioning. When using Debian you are guarantied to always only use FOSS software which is not the case with Ubuntu.

For example the Ubuntu 'upstart' disaster.

No. Please notice that we use Debian as base system, but we use a much newer kernel based on the Ubuntu kernel.

Apologies for reviving an old thread, and if this seems like a basic Linux question: I know what a kernel is, but what is a "Debian base system"? and how is it different from a Ubuntu base system?

Edit: Or when you say "base system" you are referring to a base/minimal installation?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!