Debian guest losing partition table

Enrico90

Jun 3, 2016
Hello, I have a Debian 8 guest that looses the partition table.
It's just a standard stable installation with a webserver.
Today I shut it down to upgrade packages on proxmox (v4.2), on reboot the drive did not boot. I had to use gparted to recover the partition table and debian ISO to reinstall grub.
Why is it doing so?? How can I fix?
thanks

this points to a faulty hardware somewhere.?

hi, I don't think so.
now the VM is running, and with a "fdisk -l" I can see the partition table.
hardware is good, the server provider just tested it before starting the service and the proxmox doesn't have problems, just the VM inside it..

post the full list of your hardware details, including local storage setup.

here it is.
disk is 2x2tb sata in software raid with mdadm.

Attachments

• hardware.PNG
    hardware.PNG
    51.2 KB · Views: 12
mdraid is not a supported setup, due to many reasons.

one is the missing protection/recovery from faulty sectors. another is the non-protected harddrive cache from power loss.

if you want a stable system, go for reliable server hardware in a supported setup.

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Software_RAID

ok, but I am getting problems with the VM inside proxmox. the proxmox itself is working fine, so it's not looking like a disk fault.

you have a unreliable disk setup and you have issues with the disks. so for me, it looks like a setup/disk issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!