Datastore.Allocate needed to browse Content (Templates, Backup, etc)?

kroem

Jul 12, 2016
I've discovered that the privilege Datastore.Allocate is needed in role in order to grant a user access/browse Content of a storage? This seems pretty backwards - what does then Datastore.AllocateTemplates do?

Datastore.Allocate grants users the ability to remove datastores which is not something I need users to be able to do ...

I'm also encountering this issue. Also, if the user is logged in while the permission is added, the content tab shows up and displays ISOs correctly (but not VM Disks, which is good). However, after a page reload, the content tab is gone.

Last edited:
Bumping. How do other people give access to a DS to upload ISOs without having users (be able to) delete the entire datastore?

Last edited:
Datastore.AllocateSpace or Datastore.Audit is enough to list the content, Datastore.Allocate is needed to create/remove/configure storages themselves.

Thanks for the reply. This is what I thought as well from reading the documentation. However, when I create a user with these permissions and select some storage in the storage view, only the "Summary" tab is available.
Currently running version 5.3-7, in case that's relevant.

please file a bug at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com - seems like something is wrong with the capabilities check in the GUI storage tab, which makes the content view hidden. note that you can select/list the templates/isos when creating/editing guests, so it's not the actual backend permission checks that are in the way...

Thanks! Like I said, this is just a bug in the GUI logic deciding which parts of the GUI to enable - the permissions are correct ;)

Right, I noticed that as well, access via the API works correctly. However, we want to allow our users to upload new ISOs to the datastore, which "doesn't work", as far as our users are concerned.
Thanks for your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!