custom template creation - lxc-create vs dab

Michael_D

Mar 30, 2016
Hi,

I wanted to create my own debian jessie template and for the first try used lxc-create (which comes with lxc bx default) for doing that. I was able to boot, but the output in vnc console was pretty messed up: for one command it looked like I was logged in and for the next it said I wasn't. So I coundn't do anything useful.

So I tested the debian appliance builder (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Debian_Appliance_Builder) and the generated template worked right away. I just had a small issue that I had to add a 2nd line after "Description:" (like in the example in the wiki) or the template creation would fail.

I noticed that the template created by dab is about 50MB bigger than the one created by lxc-create so mabye dab adds some packages that are required for the console to run flawlessly.

Or maybe I just made some other mistake.

Has anyone successfully created a template for proxmox using lxc-create or are you all just using dab?

Regards Michael

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!