Creating Vm without bridge causing warning.

symbiat

Dec 13, 2023
Hi,

first of all let me thank you for this community and Proxmox team. Right now I'm doing an evaluation regarding proxmox setup. My proxmox version is 8.0.3.

I want to create a virtual machine with 2 nics. I have 2 bridge on my proxmox host, one for wan traffic other one for internal network connectivity, when i say internal I mean same vlan with other physical servers on same subnet with proxmox node.

When I'm creating vm, Proxmox gui forces me to choose a bridge for the nics, which is I dont want, so after creation of the vm I'm editing vm.conf file and remove the brige like this:

Code:
net0: virtio=90:02:86:77:d9:1b

net1: virtio=90:03:0a:34:01:1b,bridge=vmbr1

net0 gets nat ip from proxmox host itself, and uses that nat ip for internet access, net1 for internal network and gets ip from our internal dhcp server.

With this method my vm always gets a nat ip from proxmox host for the net0 which is same for every vm 10.0.2.15/24. But with this configuration, when i wanted start a virtual machine I'm getting a warning message like this:

Code:
WARN: Interface 'tap104i0' not attached to any bridge.

TASK WARNINGS: 1

Its not breaking anything for the vm itself, and everything works fine including nat and internal network access, but right now I'm doing same vm creation steps with terraform, But terraforms crashes when the proxmox gives that warning message via api. If i choose regular bridge for the nics, then everything goes smooth.

This my terraform provider:
Code:
source = "Telmate/proxmox"
version = "2.9.14"

Is there any way to prevent that warning message ? Or am i choosing a wrong method for our vms nat setup. I even dont know how this nat setup works in the first place because i didnt created any nat related on my proxmox network config which is:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth3 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
    bond-slaves eth1 eth2
    bond-miimon 100
    bond-mode 802.3ad
    bond-lacp-rate 1
    bond-xmit_hash_policy 1

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address *.*.*.*/30
    gateway *.*.*.*
    bridge-ports eth0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
    address *.*.*.*/16
    bridge-ports bond0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

Thank you for your valuable time .

Reactions: xxmail

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!