[SOLVED] Creating the Datastore is not Working - EPERM Operation not permitted

YaseenKamala

Feb 2, 2021
Paris
Hello,

Could you please help me why am I getting this error and how it can be fixed?
1633526606554.png

For more information, what I did was, first I tried to create a test datastore to see if it works? which it did. then I deleted the test and since then I am not able to re create one.

Thanks for your help.

The error says the file in your old datastore still exists. So you might want to delete the folder of your old datastore first so PBS can create a new one.

Reactions: YaseenKamala
The error says the file in your old datastore still exists. So you might want to delete the folder of your old datastore first so PBS can create a new one.
I have already deleted the old datastore, as you can see the datastore file is empty.

That is only the config file. I talk about the actual directory storing your chunks (/Volume1/Server-Backups/).

@Dunuin Thank you so much for your help, but this not a Local Directory it's mounted form SynologyNAS (/Volume1/Server-Backups/)
PBS is still complaining that your "/Volume1/Server-Backups/" on your NAs isn'T empty. So you should delete stuff on there like the ".chunks" file. Btw... Linux will handle files with a dot infront of the name as hidden, so you might need to use commands like "la -la" to view them.

PBS is still complaining that your "/Volume1/Server-Backups/" on your NAs isn'T empty. So you should delete stuff on there like the ".chunks" file. Btw... Linux will handle files with a dot infront of the name as hidden, so you might need to use commands like "la -la" to view them.
In fact I saw this article https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/datastore-recovery.72835/ what I did I re created the datastore and deleted again now all is good busing bellow code since then I am able to re create normally.

Code:
datastore: name
        path /path/to/previous/ds

Thank you so much for your help.

@Dunuin since now I am able to create the datastore all is good. however I am facing something else which the datastore size!

1633596636037.png

The folder which mounted to PBS it's allowed up to 8TB see bellow photo
1633596990403.png

But within the PBS Web Interface I only have 90 G
1633597204587.png

Could you please tell me how can I extend the Backup datastore size to 8TB?

Thank you very much in advance for you help.

I would guess your NFS/SMB share isn't mounted or you set a wrong path to you shares mountpoint so you are storing your backups to an empty mountpoint or wrong folder and everything will be stored on your PBS system disk. So if your system disk only got 81GB free that would explain why your datastore only got 84GB. And according to your screenshot your root folder is 82GB to that would match with my guess.

Last edited:
I thought of it because of the amount of Disks as well, but I don't know how to or which path I should use?!

Let me give more details on it:

when I show the content of /mnt/SynologyNAS it's showing me the correct content see bellow ↓ screenshot of the mount point.

1633605648045.png

in the the other side let's imagen this is my configs.
SynologyNAS = 172.100.10.11
Has a shared NFS/SMB folder called "Server-Backups"

Then I used this line of code to create the mount point:
Code:
@reboot mount -t nfs  172.100.10.11:/volume1/Server-Backups /mnt/SynologyNAS/

The path that I used for the Datastore was:

1633606283558.png

Thank you so much for your great help.

You use cron (I would use fstab or systemd for that so that it will try to remount the share on failures and only tries to mount it after your network is ready) to mount the share to "/mnt/SynologyNAS". So "/mnt/SynologyNAS" should also be the path you tell PBS to use as the datastore.

Last edited:
Yes I used cron but I can switch to fstab if you recommended it, however when I try to create the datastore using "/mnt/SynologyNAS" this I what got.

1633607586355.png
1633607595486.png

I think PBS wants an empty folder. You count create an folder like "/mnt/SynologyNAS/PBS" and use that. But the rror sounds like PBS has no rights to access your share.

No, the PBS IP address has a full access to the shared Folder with proper NFS permissions.

To be sure about it I just create a test folder into Shared folder from PBS CLI

1633610721451.png
1633610598764.png

Concerning the "SynologyNAS" is already empty why I should create another empty folder? do you think this will fix it the issue?

Last edited:
Because in the screenshot above you did a "ls /mnt/SynologyNAS" and it showed that there are already folders in it like "GP1-VMs" and so on.

You are right, sorry for the confusion that was just to show that the mount point is working properly?
now it's empty and still getting same error message :(

1633610858012.png
1633610888141.png
1633610905645.png

You could try this from here:
Hi everyone,

i found the solution for NFS mounts from Synology NAS get the error "Error: EPERM: Operation not permitted" when trying the nfs mount to use as datastore in Proxmox Backup Server. It is a user right issue with the folder on the synology nas. I created the user backup and group backup on my synology, changed the uid and guid on synology nas side to the uid and guid from PBS user backup via ssh and reboot synology. Than i was able to create the datastore on PBS without error.
Sounds like its a NFS permission problem on the Synology side.

You could try this from here:

Sounds like its a NFS permission problem on the Synology side.
I have asked the person who wrote the comment because I don't know how he/she did → changed the uid and guid on synology nas side to the uid and guid from PBS user backup via ssh after cearting the user and group on NAS.

And this what I have from NAS side

1633612786773.png

Last edited:
I gave my NFS share and folder on the TrueNAS chmod 777 so no protection at all and everyone got full read/write/execute access. Because I'm not using kerberos there isn't any authentification anyway, so everyone could pretend to be root without needing to have the root password.

If I remember right I also needed to add the NFS share in PBS as NFSv3 because there was a problem with v4 locking files.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!