[SOLVED] Creating the Datastore is not Working - EPERM Operation not permitted

I gave my NFS share and folder on the TrueNAS chmod 777 so no protection at all and everyone got full read/write/execute access. Because I'm not using kerberos there isn't any authentification anyway, so everyone could pretend to be root without needing to have the root password.

If I remember right I also needed to add the NFS share in PBS as NFSv3 because there was a problem with v4 locking files.
I have done that as well but it's not working to!

This is strange, I have tried to change the UID and GID for a test user on Synology NAS but all the are commands are not working I don't know @angelkille did that?
I gave my NFS share and folder on the TrueNAS chmod 777 so no protection at all and everyone got full read/write/execute access. Because I'm not using kerberos there isn't any authentification anyway, so everyone could pretend to be root without needing to have the root password.

If I remember right I also needed to add the NFS share in PBS as NFSv3 because there was a problem with v4 locking files.

Hello @Dunuin ,

For information I managed to create the datastore by creating "a user and a group" on both PBS and Synology NAS with the exact UID and GID I am attaching the screenshots in case someone needs it :))

1633949343315.png

Creation of normal Group and User on Synology NAS create with Web Interface:

1633949422835.png
1633949431308.png

First I checked the Identifications on Synology NAS for PBS group and user

1633949489749.png

At this point logged into my PBS CLI and create the GROUP and User with the exact details. see bellow

1633949514048.png

Commands that I used:
groupadd -g 65537 PBS

1633949537499.png
One the group has been created with the correct "GID" then created the user ↓
useradd -u 1035 -g 100 -p $userpassword

1633949551009.png

At the end I restarted both Synology NAS and PBS and was able to create the datastore from the mounted point :cool:

Again and again thank you so much for your great support dear @Dunuin

Last edited:
I added the users but still no dice, I followed this guide and was able to add the datastore. ( https://geekistheway.com/2021/03/07...or-proxmox-backup-server-to-use-as-datastore/)

It still doesn't work right but At least I was able to add a datastore instead of the eperm denied
1670965819679.png

I think the change is that using this guide, the squash map option was set to "no mapping" and that made the difference for me.
Still trying to figure out how to fix the permission but maybe this helps someone else on this forbidden path.

Final edit, I used: chmod -R 777 /mnt/whateveryourmountpointis
and immediately the permission errror dissapeared.
From what I understand 777 is windows' "everyone" permission and not recommended but I'm also a total linux noob and don't know any better.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am working with the same idea, mounting NFS directory in proxmox-backup server, but from QNAP NAS server.
I have the same problems

1678794379044.png

In my case, i test the configuration with differents squash options, differents group id options, differents user id options, but nothing resolve the problem.
I reveived allways the same error message

1678794474407.png

When I mount with nfs the folder from QNAP server without problems, I can create files and directories

1678794673233.png

But when tried to add datastore, is impossible.
I suppouse proxmox-backup work with user backup, and it can not change the permissions on the nfs directory, and can not create .chunk directory,

I can't find debug information about proxmox-backup logs, search in /var/logs/proxmox-backup and in /var/logs but there arent usefull

Attachments

• 1678794512646.png
    1678794512646.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 13
I'm using a Netgear NAS and had the same problem, I solved it by disabling the UID/GID combination, in this case, choose the option "not combining root"
1681397615499.png

For Synology NAS i found a solution,

On Synology the NFS rule 'Squash" have to be set to "No mapping"

Screenshot 2023-11-07 121048.png

Reactions: ogghi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!