Creating additional virtio disk of a VM

darian

Jul 3, 2017
Hi to everyone.

I'm trying to create an additional virtio1 disk for a VM. FYI, the VM has already a virtio0 disk.

Therefore, I try to create it via the API using the call:

Code:
POST /api2/json/nodes/{node}/qemu/{vmid}/config

But I'm receiving this:

Code:
update VM 105: -virtio1 local:105/vm-105-disk2.qcow2,cache=writeback,mbps_rd=300,mbps_wr=150,media=disk,size=14G
TASK ERROR: volume 'local:105/vm-105-disk2.qcow2' does not exist

As you can see, it tries to update the vm (and that's why it fails correctly, because a virtio1 disk does not exit indeed), which is weird because the PUT call should do that instead of the POST.

Am I using it wrong? Is there any alternative way for creating an additional virtio disk for a VM?

PS: Proxmox v4.3, API2

If you want to create/allocate a new disk, you can use the special syntax "-virtio1 local:<size_in_GB>,..."

Or you allocate the volume first.

Reactions: darian
I found a solution. I've tried to do this:

Code:
POST /api2/json/nodes/{node}/qemu/{vmid}/config 
-virtio1 local:105/vm-105-disk2.qcow2,cache=writeback,mbps_rd=300,mbps_wr=150,media=disk,size=14G

But the right way was this:

Code:
PUT /api2/json/nodes/{node}/qemu/{vmid}/config 
-virtio1 local:14,media=disk,cache=writeback,mbps_rd=300,mbps_wr=150,format=qcow2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!