[SOLVED] Create a backup of the Promox server with clonezilla

Yeedooz

Apr 5, 2017
Hello !
I would like to create a backup of my proxmox server with clonezilla, but when the backup is finished, at the end of the image check, clonezilla says to me :
Checking the device LV pve-data in the image "proxmox-1-2017-04-03-11-img"...
This image file for partition pve-data was not found!
Broken partition images were found, or some of them are not checkable in this image : proxmox-a-2017-04-03-11-img

I am not sure, but, local-lvm is the only thing located in pve-data ? I don't have nothing in local-lvm, so I don't have anything to lose in. Is there a way to avoid this problem ?

Thanks !

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't know the solution to this problem, but I'm looking at ways to backup the Proxmox host as well.
Is Clonezilla (or similar software) the proper way to do it?
Did you use Clonezilla before without getting these errors, or is this the first time?

Hi,
It's the first time I want to create a proxmox backup. But I always used it for other servers (debian, freeBSD, windows...), and never seen a similar error. I tried to see if there is a backup software recommended in the proxmox documentation, but I have not found anything.

It's seems that it is working with any livecd linux,
I install dcfldd, then I mount a samba share and I launch as root :
dcfldd if=/dev/sda bs=4k conv=notrunc,noerror | gzip -c > smbshare/imgproxmox.gzip​
then, I restore with :
gzip -cd smbshare/imgproxmox.gzip | dcfldd of=/dev/sda bs=4k conv=notrunc,noerror​

It's working in virtualbox, I am currently copying my physical disk I'll tell you if it worked.
This is not the best solution but now I don't have anything else, but you have to use same disk because it's a bit / bit copy.

Reactions: Flaxe
Thanks a lot Yeedooz. I wish there is an easier and more "proper" way to do it, otherwise it should be implemented sometime.
But at the same time, I guess the most important thing to backup is /etc/pve and /var/lib/pve*, and maybe something more. So it shouldn't take long time to restore everything even if you reinstall from scratch.

Reactions: Yeedooz
But at the same time, I guess the most important thing to backup is /etc/pve and /var/lib/pve*, and maybe something more. So it shouldn't take long time to restore everything even if you reinstall from scratch.

Hey, no problem.
I agree with you but it was at work and we have 3 nodes with CEPH installed and configured on each, so it wasn't easier as you said :p
Have a nice day !

This is an old thread but figured I'd update it for anyone else landing here. It's the end of 2022. I was expecting the CloneZilla issue would be resolved by now. My experience. TLDR - CloneZilla partially works?

Scenario:
I initially configured my Lenovo m920q tiny with Proxmox installed on the NVME drive. The goal of this project was to clone NVME install drive to a 2TB equal size SATA drive to use the faster NVME for dedicated VM storage.

I'm not sure what the issue is but CloneZilla cloned the last partition, and started cloning it again. Once i saw the process restart, I shutdown the system > removed the NVME drive to work around duplicate LVM entries detected errors > Proxmox booted perfectly with the NVME drive removed.

Next steps:
- Format the NVME before adding it back to m920q.

Once new hardware comes in I need to perform the same steps on another micro PC with a similar storage layout.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!