[SOLVED] Correct way to restart a node without stopping containers or vm's

lifeboy

Renowned Member
Is there a correct way to restart a node (mostly for applying kernel updates)?

I have about 20 virtual machines and containers that should not go down ever unless planned. So I have set the all as HA. When I shutdown a node, the VM's / LXC's shut down instead of migrating to the node next in the HA config. I can of course reset the node, but then it's like crashing the node, which is not what I want to do.

How does one ensure the HA config is honoured when a node is shut down and restarted?

So I have set the all as HA. When I shutdown a node, the VM's / LXC's shut down instead of migrating to the node next in the HA config. I can of course reset the node, but then it's like crashing the node, which is not what I want to do.

Change the "Shutdown Policy" to "migrate". This can be done in the webinterface under Datacenter → Options → HA Settings.

Reactions: aasami
That does migrate those LXC's or VM's set up with HA. However, is there a way to get other running VM's or LXC's to hibernate and be restored to their running state when a node is restarted, rather than to have them shutdown? That would be really useful.

For VMs, yes, I haven't noticed that I can hibernate the machine manually before restarting a node.

Most LXC's are services, so it's not that relevant. I just realised that it's mainly machines where users log in remotely to where this would be useful so that users don't lose their files and session contexts.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!