[SOLVED] Copying and Pasting into an Ubuntu Virtual Machine in the Web UI

LunarMagic

Mar 14, 2024
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how I can copy and paste into a Virtual Machine in the web interface using a web browser. This is specifically when you click the Console tab of a Virtual Machine The operating system is Ubuntu if that helps and I am on the latest version of Proxmox.

Works here as it should. I tested it with default and the VGA card you configured. Both work in both directions. You first copy it to the clipboard and then to the VM.

Screenshot_20240907_171436.png

Ah ok, yes, it doesn't work like that on a console. I use the serial console via xterm.js on all my servers. It works like a real terminal. Just copy/paste too. But this requires two things:

1. you have to add an serial port to your VM
  2. you have to configure the serial port in your grub cmd "/etc/default/grub"
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="console=ttyS0,115200"

and execute update-grub

After the the next reboot, your serial terminal with copy/paste should work :cool:

Reactions: LunarMagic
Ah ok, yes, it doesn't work like that on a console. I use the serial console via xterm.js on all my servers. It works like a real terminal. Just copy/paste too. But this requires two things:

1. you have to add an serial port to your VM
  2. you have to configure the serial port in your grub cmd "/etc/default/grub"
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="console=ttyS0,115200"

and execute update-grub

After the the next reboot, your serial terminal with copy/paste should work :cool:
IT WORKS WOO!!

Thank you so much!!!!!!

1725835177627.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!