Continuously increasing memory usage until oom-killer kill processes

Same problem here, all my containers are silently taking more memory in cache until oom-kill kicks in. This happens in all my containers but in pve6. In my case, restarting systemd-journald did not help, however reducing journals log size increased the available memory by the same size I reduced the log. (But the memory keeps decreasing, so it is just a matter of time, I just gained time)
Ive seen other posts around the internet about people hunting for the culprit and finding memory leaks in various apps. If it's not your tmpfs (and there are other tmpfs users other than systemd-journald, note), then it's something else. Keep looking.

This misleading issue is reporting it as buffers/cache instead of in "used". If you google it, there are dozens of posts by others misled by this and trying to flush their caches, which will not help at all. "Used" would be a fairer category to put it in, but Im guessing because of the way kernel structures such things, that may be harder to code. Nonetheless, it's misleading.
lxcfs doesn't do anything here - this is literally how the kernel reports that kind of memory usage (as shared memory!):

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/tmpfs.html

basically the only thing that lxcfs does "special" is to handle total memory and swap according to the version of cgroups employed, the rest comes directly from how the kernel reports memory usage.
Is there a way to restrict tmpfs size in containers?
see above - you have to set this up inside the container (where the mounting actually happens)

Reactions: mathx
lxcfs doesn't do anything here - this is literally how the kernel reports that kind of memory usage (as shared memory!):

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/tmpfs.html

basically the only thing that lxcfs does "special" is to handle total memory and swap according to the version of cgroups employed, the rest comes directly from how the kernel reports memory usage.

see above - you have to set this up inside the container (where the mounting actually happens)

I don't understand? How does this fix the memory issues, like this:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/lxc-and-tvheadend-continuity-counter-error.97726/#post-449299

The problem exists since Proxmox 7.0, Version 6.4.13 was fine.

I wrote above what you need to do - restrict the tmpfs sizes where they get mounted (i.e., inside the container). tmpfs ARE memory, so they are accounted as such.

I wrote above what you need to do - restrict the tmpfs sizes where they get mounted (i.e., inside the container). tmpfs ARE memory, so they are accounted as such.
The buffer/cache grows and grows while I‘m recording to the harddisk. When free = 0 the recording stops. The tmpfs doesn't increas the it's size, so I think it doesn't help to restrict it?

free -m

Code:
root@ct-tvh-02:~# free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          16384         559         0           0       15824       15824
Swap:           512           0         512

df -h

1658826594795.png

Last edited:
The buffer/cache grows and grows while I‘m recording to the harddisk. When free = 0 the recording stops. The tmpfs doesn't increas the it's size, so I think it doesn't help to restrict it?
I seem to recall that tmpfs is counted as buffers/cache (but I can't find the original reference now). Please try writing a large file to a tmpfs and see if it increases. Apologies for not having the time to try it myself right now.

free -m

Code:
root@ct-tvh-02:~# free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          16384         559         0           0       15824       15824
Swap:           512           0         512

df -h

View attachment 39328
well, there are other things accounted as buffered or cached (like, the literal page cache) which might be the culprit in your case.. it might help if you give more details about your setup, such as
- pveversion -v
- storage.cfg
- container config
- what happens in the container
- observed result
- expected result

well, there are other things accounted as buffered or cached (like, the literal page cache) which might be the culprit in your case.. it might help if you give more details about your setup, such as
- pveversion -v
- storage.cfg
- container config
- observed result
- expected result
Hi, sorry for the late response, was very busy the last month.
Here's the output. Like I've mentioned before the problem exists since I've upgraded to version 7.

Code:
pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 7.2-1 (running kernel: 5.15.39-1-pve)
pve-manager: 7.2-7 (running version: 7.2-7/d0dd0e85)
pve-kernel-helper: 7.2-10
pve-kernel-5.15: 7.2-6
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-12
pve-kernel-5.15.39-1-pve: 5.15.39-1
pve-kernel-5.4.162-1-pve: 5.4.162-2
pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve: 5.4.106-1
ceph-fuse: 14.2.21-1
corosync: 3.1.5-pve2
criu: 3.15-1+pve-1
glusterfs-client: 9.2-1
ifupdown: residual config
ifupdown2: 3.1.0-1+pmx3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1
libknet1: 1.24-pve1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.2
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.3.1-1
libpve-access-control: 7.2-4
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1
libpve-common-perl: 7.2-2
libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.1-2
libpve-http-server-perl: 4.1-3
libpve-storage-perl: 7.2-8
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1
lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1
lxc-pve: 5.0.0-3
lxcfs: 4.0.12-pve1
novnc-pve: 1.3.0-3
proxmox-backup-client: 2.2.5-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.2.5-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.3-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.5.1
pve-cluster: 7.2-2
pve-container: 4.2-2
pve-docs: 7.2-2
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20220526-1
pve-firewall: 4.2-6
pve-firmware: 3.5-1
pve-ha-manager: 3.4.0
pve-i18n: 2.7-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 7.0.0-3
pve-xtermjs: 4.16.0-1
qemu-server: 7.2-4
smartmontools: 7.2-pve3
spiceterm: 3.2-2
swtpm: 0.7.1~bpo11+1
vncterm: 1.7-1
zfsutils-linux: 2.1.5-pve1

Code:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content iso,vztmpl,backup

#lvmthin: local-lvm
#    thinpool data
#    vgname pve
#    content rootdir,images

dir: datastore1
    path /mnt/pve/datastore1
    content rootdir,images,iso,vztmpl,backup
    is_mountpoint 1
    nodes vs-aa1

Code:
cat /etc/pve/lxc/102.conf
arch: amd64
cores: 8
cpuunits: 4096
hostname: ct-tvh-02
memory: 4096
mp0: datastore1:102/vm-102-disk-2.raw,mp=/home/hts/dvr/,acl=0,mountoptions=noatime;nodev;noexec;nosuid,size=200G
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,gw=192.168.0.250,hwaddr=C9:21:9A:B4:84:0E,ip=192.168.0.100/24,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: datastore1:102/vm-102-disk-0.raw,acl=0,mountoptions=noatime;nosuid,size=8G
searchdomain: aa.local
swap: 512
unprivileged: 1

I'm using the container as Tvheadend server.

- observed result
- expected result

The container has 4GB Ram allocated.
When I start a recording (or several in parallel) to /home/ the column "buff/cache" increases until "free" is 0 and thus the 4GB are reached. Then I get only write errors, because probably the cache is no longer cleared. With Proxmox 6.4 there were no problems here, because the cache was always released again.

Thanks for your efforts!

Best regards

could you get the following information:
- /proc/meminfo inside the container when you run into the issue
- tvheadend GUI at Configuration ->Debugging -> Memory Information Entries (found via some random googling ;))

it seems there is also the option to adjust how much data tvheadend caches, maybe playing around with those settings might help as well.

Ok, to reproduce the issue a bit faster, I've changed the memory of the container to 512 MB.

Code:
root@ct-tvh-02:~# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:         524288 kB
MemFree:             208 kB
MemAvailable:     406652 kB
Buffers:               0 kB
Cached:           406444 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:            53148 kB
Inactive:         438500 kB
Active(anon):        136 kB
Inactive(anon):    85340 kB
Active(file):      53012 kB
Inactive(file):   353160 kB
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:           11948 kB
SwapTotal:        524288 kB
SwapFree:         524284 kB
Dirty:                 0 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:         85360 kB
Mapped:                0 kB
Shmem:               116 kB
KReclaimable:     325996 kB
Slab:                  0 kB
SReclaimable:          0 kB
SUnreclaim:            0 kB
KernelStack:        9984 kB
PageTables:        77740 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:    28733908 kB
Committed_AS:   53362068 kB
VmallocTotal:   34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed:      114684 kB
VmallocChunk:          0 kB
Percpu:            16832 kB
HardwareCorrupted:     0 kB
AnonHugePages:         0 kB
ShmemHugePages:        0 kB
ShmemPmdMapped:        0 kB
FileHugePages:         0 kB
FilePmdMapped:         0 kB
HugePages_Total:       0
HugePages_Free:        0
HugePages_Rsvd:        0
HugePages_Surp:        0
Hugepagesize:       2048 kB
Hugetlb:               0 kB
DirectMap4k:      597864 kB
DirectMap2M:    38199296 kB
DirectMap1G:    13631488 kB

1662732899385.png

I'll take a look at some cache options in Tvh, but as I mentioned above, the problem occured for the first time when I updatet to version 7. In version 6 everything was fine.

edit: Ok, I've tried all cache options in the recorder profiles but every profile resulted in running out of memory...

Last edited:
okay - one more thing that might help shed light on the issue: could you dump /sys/fs/cgroup/lxc/CTID/memory.stat (replace CTID accordingly) on the host when the problem has been triggered?

is anything else outside of the container accessing the recordings/files created by tvheadend?

okay - one more thing that might help shed light on the issue: could you dump /sys/fs/cgroup/lxc/CTID/memory.stat (replace CTID accordingly) on the host when the problem has been triggered?

is anything else outside of the container accessing the recordings/files created by tvheadend?

Okay..
Output:
Code:
cat /sys/fs/cgroup/lxc/102/memory.stat
anon 81432576
file 424726528
kernel_stack 1769472
pagetables 2281472
percpu 1521472
sock 20480
shmem 122880
file_mapped 62537728
file_dirty 7905280
file_writeback 0
swapcached 0
anon_thp 0
file_thp 0
shmem_thp 0
inactive_anon 81444864
active_anon 110592
inactive_file 370253824
active_file 54329344
unevictable 0
slab_reclaimable 20042808
slab_unreclaimable 3527480
slab 23570288
workingset_refault_anon 0
workingset_refault_file 19189
workingset_activate_anon 0
workingset_activate_file 3357
workingset_restore_anon 0
workingset_restore_file 2505
workingset_nodereclaim 0
pgfault 214732
pgmajfault 1020
pgrefill 144
pgscan 28573
pgsteal 25146
pgactivate 16936
pgdeactivate 200
pglazyfree 0
pglazyfreed 0
thp_fault_alloc 0
thp_collapse_alloc 0

No, no service ooutside is accessing the files.

Thanks for helping!

thanks!

could you try the following (please don't change any of the memory related settings otherwise while doing the test!)

replace CTID with your container ID again for all commands

Code:
cat /sys/fs/cgroup/lxc/CTID/memory.stat

this will return the current hard limit for memory usage. now calculate 90% of that, and replace VALUE with the result in the following commands:

Code:
echo VALUE > /sys/fs/cgroup/lxc/CTID/memory.high
echo VALUE > /sys/fs/cgroup/lxc/CTID/ns/memory.high

this should cause the kernel to start reclaiming memory sooner (once the 90% watermark is reached). I am not sure what tvheadend does differently than other applications/work loads, but I hope it helps. please report back with results in either case!

Reactions: Lyve
thanks!

could you try the following (please don't change any of the memory related settings otherwise while doing the test!)

replace CTID with your container ID again for all commands

Code:

this will return the current hard limit for memory usage. now calculate 90% of that, and replace VALUE with the result in the following commands:

Code:
echo VALUE > /sys/fs/cgroup/lxc/CTID/memory.high
echo VALUE > /sys/fs/cgroup/lxc/CTID/ns/memory.high

this should cause the kernel to start reclaiming memory sooner (once the 90% watermark is reached). I am not sure what tvheadend does differently than other applications/work loads, but I hope it helps. please report back with results in either case!
Now what of all the output values is the current hard limit for memory usage?

edit: I guess you meant
cat /sys/fs/cgroup/lxc/CTID/memory.high ?

Used this and calculated 90 percent of the memory, then written to /sys/fs/cgroup/lxc/CTID/memory.high and /sys/fs/cgroup/lxc/CTID/ns/memory.high - it seems to work now!

Can you tell me how to make this change persistent for this container?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm seeing the same issue so keen to help with diagnosis.

I've run:
Code:
where you said:
this will return the current hard limit for memory usage.
Apologies if I've not understood but which value from this command am I using to get 90% of for setting memory.high etc?

Hello,

I'm seeing the same issue so keen to help with diagnosis.

I've run:
Code:
where you said:

Apologies if I've not understood but which value from this command am I using to get 90% of for setting memory.high etc?
With tvheadend or with an other application?

Last edited:
sorry, that was a typo (or rather, copy-paste error). the hard limit is in memory.max , not memory.stat

not possible at the moment, that would need to be integrated in pve-container ;) does it improve the situation?

not possible at the moment, that would need to be integrated in pve-container ;) does it improve the situation?
Yeah, this fixes the memory issue - thank you for this. I made a script as a workaround for now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!