Container to template on ZFS (and linstor - drbd)

Foxi352

Mar 22, 2018
Luxembourg
I have Proxmox 8.2 running CT's and VM's on Linstor - DRBD shared storage with underlying ZFS.
I can create snaptshots without any problems. In fact PBS uses it to backup running containers.
As far as i know snapshots is a prerequisite for converting CT's to a template ?

I created a Debian 12 container and wanted to convert it to a template. But i got the error below.
I am pretty sure i already used this in the past with this exact same setup, but that may be some years ago.

Code:
TASK ERROR: Template feature is not available for 'ssd_group:pm-95ba9c0d_901'

Anyone has an idea what i've done wrong ?

As far as i know snapshots is a prerequisite for converting CT's to a template ?
Yes. If you use an LVM-only storage, converting an CT to a template is not possible. Have a look at the storage types.

Can post your storage configuration and the config from your CT that is to be converted in a template?

Code:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

pvesm status
And your CT config:
Code:
pct config <ID>

storage.cfg (redacted):
Code:
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content vztmpl,snippets,rootdir,images
        shared 1

dir: ISO
        path /rpool/ISO
        content iso,vztmpl
        shared 1

drbd: hdd_group
        resourcegroup hdd_group
        content rootdir,images
        controller pve2.mgmt.xxx.yyy

drbd: ssd_group
        resourcegroup ssd_group
        content rootdir,images
        controller pve2.mgmt.xxx.yyy

pvesm status (redacted):
Code:
Name              Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
ISO                dir     active        98497780        25672624        67775608   26.06%
hdd_group         drbd     active               0               0               0    0.00%
local              dir     active        98497780        25672624        67775608   26.06%
local_data     zfspool   disabled               0               0               0      N/A
ssd_group         drbd     active      7801405440      4222698546      3578706894   54.13%

pct config 901:
Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 2
features: nesting=1
hostname: tmpl-debian-12
memory: 4096
net0: name=eth0,bridge=LAN,firewall=1,hwaddr=BC:24:11:E6:E0:C6,ip=dhcp,ip6=auto,type=veth
ostype: debian
rootfs: ssd_group:pm-95ba9c0d_901,size=15G
swap: 0
unprivileged: 1

Thank you for the informations. What i can is that your LXC is running on "ssd_group". Since this is DRBD (LVM), snapshots are not supported there.

Possible working storage for creating templates are:
  • ISO
  • local_data
  • local
For example, you can use one of this three storages for your templates. But you can only use the "full clone" option to one of your drbd targets.

But you can also build your own templates on DRBD and clone them, but you cannot mark your for a template built VM's as "template". In this case, the end result is the same. A full clone of an CT.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!