Connection error: proxy 500 error detected

Erwin123

May 14, 2008
########URGENT HELP NEEDED!###########

My VPS on my single node is down.
I can't start it because of the error I get in the interface: Error: connection error 500: proxy loop detected

I cant start it from the prompt because I get:
Container config file does not exist

I did find a configfile at: /etc/pve/nodes/Debian-70-wheezy-64-minimal/openvz/103.conf
When I tried to copy it to /etc.vz/conf I got:

root@3 /etc/pve/nodes/Debian-70-wheezy-64-minimal/openvz # cp 103.conf /etc/vz/conf/
cp: cannot create regular file `/etc/vz/conf/103.conf': File exists

But /etc/vz/conf/ is empty.
Hope someone can help!
Would pay fo a solution!

Last edited:
Is this somehow related?

root@3 /etc/pve/nodes/Debian-70-wheezy-64-minimal/openvz # ls -lah /etc/vz/conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Aug 26 2013 /etc/vz/conf -> /etc/pve/openvz

root@3 /etc/pve/nodes/Debian-70-wheezy-64-minimal/openvz # ls -lha /etc/pve/openvz
lrwxr-x--- 1 root www-data 0 Jan 1 1970 /etc/pve/openvz -> nodes/3/openvz

root@3 /etc/pve/nodes/Debian-70-wheezy-64-minimal/openvz # ls -lha nodes/3/openvz
ls: cannot access nodes/3/openvz: Transport endpoint is not connected

Lucky for me (buying €200,- support and sending a ticket with 'emergency' did suprisingly little) a friend solved it after hours of searching.
From what I understand he renamed the vps's config file and made a new symbolic link to /etc/vz/conf.
No idea how this is suddenly possible with a server thats been running perfectly fine for over a year.

Now if there's anyone here who knows some paid support for Proxmox/Openvz that does work please pm me.
Wether its a monthly subscription or one time fee in case of emergencies I don't care.

I understand that you were in trouble but I just want to add some info here (as you missed some parts).

- if you run production servers, you should buy the needed support subscription BEFORE you have an emergency
- you should always run latest version (only latest version is covered by commercial support)
- therefore the first step in troubleshooting is installing updates (as hunting for bugs which are already fixed is just a waste of time)
- if you need remote support, the "Basic" packages is the wrong one, you need "Standard" or "Premium"
- read the detailed subscription agreement on www.proxmox.com

Proxmox VE supports does not replace the basic admin tasks like applying updates, doing backups or restores in case of emergency.

And I would not say that Proxmox support is not working. At least, we have a different opinion here.

Dear Tom,

So do I understand it right that you just choose not to help me anymore once you learned I had not all the latest updates installed? Even though I just paid €200,- and you understood I had serious problems?

Thats a pretty 'high and mighty' attitude.

I understand you are highly educated (no sarcasm intended) system administrators and programmers but in the real world (where your customers live) not everybody who runs a server is that comfortable in running changes and updates on servers that are in production.
Ofcourse updates are important. Especially from the exclusive viewpoint as a developer, but they are not the be all end all you make them in your replies
In the 15 years I've been running servers BY FAR the most problems I encountered came from changing and updating servers that where running perfectly fine before. That includes Proxmox!

The problem I had could have been solved by you in minutes. Instead you simply choose not to reply until 24hrs later and leave me with it.

You might want to rethink your customer care strategy unless you strife for a real selected group of customers that can afford system administrators of your level and experience.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!