Connecting a router into physical server with Proxmox on it

popescu

Nov 19, 2023
Does Proxmox have some type of embedded firewall? Or is it unsafe to plug in internet straight to the interface?

I mention that I will be working with vms, one of which is a pfsense firewall. Can I configure it to filter the Internet that comes through, or is it not necessary?

I am trying to make a DMZ, and I need to have internet access on one interface only.

So for me, a hypervisor never belongs directly on the Internet. Either the interface remains purely internal or there is a firewall in front of it.

Basically, you can do it like this and then pass the interface through to your firewall and then access the Internet via VM. But keep in mind the chicken-and-egg problem.

A DMZ is usually set up with firewalls at all network boundaries. So if you have WAN, management and internal traffic, you have three network segments that will generally not be interconnected without a firewall with this concept.

So this is how I thought of it so far.. (I am a beginner)

Questions:
1. The way I wanna get internet is not right. How else? Add another pfsense vm for vmbr1 iface(=gb2 physical) and so the internet passes through it first?

2. For vmbr0: I want to split it in2 : one part for the Dmz-style network; another for the Linux vm. Can I config it so that the DMZ vm gets internet, and also the Kali vm?
Also, does that dmz vm need internet at all, if I am supposed to add some type of public-facing server on it (like dns/ email)? And the LAN part is supposed to not have internet at all?

3. The Win 2019 in the LAN part, is supposed to manage the other win10 vms, but it is unsafe to keep it on the same network, right? But if I create a separate vlan for it, then it will no longer be able to connect to/ manage users, computers from the win10 vms?

4. I feel like what I am trying to do with the gb2 if, aka vmbr1 is totally wrong and not secure, like sb-jw says, but I don't have any other idea.
(I am thinking that interface gb1 is already occupied, because that is how I am accessing the web interface, connecting the server to my laptop. And then, I could use the other gb2 iface, and assign it vmbr1 virtual, so that the ethernet with internet comes that way into the server and can be managed by my pfsense firewall..). I also read that there is the option to enable some firewall from the PVE web interface.. could I use this one?

5. Any other idea of how to better manage/ split the server's interfaces? Or the virtual bridges, for that matter?

6. How to create the virtual switch?
1702321174961.png

Answer to any question would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!