Connect multiple physical servers into one single internal network

FlorinMarian

Nov 13, 2017
Hello!
I would like to receive some suggestions regarding best way of merging few physical servers located in different physical datacenters (under 4ms from one to another).
The idea will be to have one single private subnet which will make our life easier in case of a VM migration.
It is important to say that :
- each physical server has only one public IPv4 address
- we would like to have one single Firewall.

You could use the GRE tunnel link of OpenVSwitch - yes done it, yes, MTU was a biatch

Best is to get a private network from the DC provider to connect the servers in the back, as those are typically Q-in-Q 802.1q vlan capable links.

The firewall will be a problem, ie. you have the DC1's IP on the firewall, what happens when the firewall needs to migrate to DC2, what IP are you getting there and how to handle those issues will be the main concern in my opinion.

You should look into the SDN feature and use EVPN or VXLAN as an underlay network for the VMs.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Software_Defined_Network
I will have simillar problem.
I wanted to implement VxLAN in my network . Is there some better understanding tutorial how to do it in small DC by Proxmox?
I know how to do it on spine & leaf arch with Cisco switches but I haven't access to it in my client network.

Where should be a SDN controller ?
And if there is way to get into one LAN two lxc containers ?
The settings should be done only one hypervisor or on each container/VM?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!