Connect a local network between Proxmox Backup and Proxmox VE?

corianito

Jul 20, 2019
Hello, sorry for the translation, I use google translator.

I have two physical servers on a switch that the fiber provider has given me.

The fact is that I see that the backups go at a speed of about 40MBs, it seems slow to me. So I thought ...

* Can a local connection be made between proxmox B. and proxmox VE to speed up the speed by being local?
* Is it necessary to do something additional or is it supposed that when they are connected to the same network, even if they are public IPs, they already make a local connection?

I'm a bit lost, that's why I ask you for a little help or if you know any guide on how to do it.

Greetings!

With 40 Mbps the switch will hardly be the bottleneck. What does proxmox-backup-client benchmark say?
The connection to PBS will be made over the address that you defined in the storage tab.

With 40 Mbps the switch will hardly be the bottleneck. What does proxmox-backup-client benchmark say?
The connection to PBS will be made over the address that you defined in the storage tab.
root@bpalpx1:~# proxmox-backup-client benchmark
SHA256 speed: 216.97 MB/s
Compression speed: 263.78 MB/s
Decompress speed: 549.57 MB/s
AES256/GCM speed: 750.75 MB/s
Verify speed: 152.36 MB/s
┌───────────────────────────────────┬───────────────────┐
│ Name │ Value │
╞═══════════════════════════════════╪═══════════════════╡
│ TLS (maximal backup upload speed) │ not tested │
├───────────────────────────────────┼───────────────────┤
│ SHA256 checksum computation speed │ 216.97 MB/s (11%) │
│ ZStd level 1 compression speed │ 263.78 MB/s (35%) │
│ ZStd level 1 decompression speed │ 549.57 MB/s (46%) │
│ Chunk verification speed │ 152.36 MB/s (20%) │
│ AES256 GCM encryption speed │ 750.75 MB/s (21%) │
└───────────────────────────────────┴───────────────────┘

At least the hardware seems to be capable of higher speeds. Backing up to PBS still relies on a lot of factors, especially size of VM image that needs to be scanned, size of the parts that need to be transferred, write speed on PBS's disks etc.
Again, I wouldn't search for problems in the network part first, because that's oftentimes not the bottleneck. I encourage to search the PBS sub-forum since slow backups speed has been discussed there a couple of times.

I will search that forum. Many thanks!
At least the hardware seems to be capable of higher speeds. Backing up to PBS still relies on a lot of factors, especially size of VM image that needs to be scanned, size of the parts that need to be transferred, write speed on PBS's disks etc.
Again, I wouldn't search for problems in the network part first, because that's oftentimes not the bottleneck. I encourage to search the PBS sub-forum since slow backups speed has been discussed there a couple of times.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!