[SOLVED] Configure proxmox to use (external) smtp server

[EDIT] SOLVED, BY USING THIS FANTASTIC POST: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/get-postfix-to-send-notifications-email-externally.59940/

Hey all, new to proxmox, so please forgive me my basic questions. I use proxmox on my home-server, so no professional use here. I have one thing left to configure: using an external smtp server for outgoing mails from the proxmox server. I could use some help with that.

• First of all, is this the right command to "trigger" an email from the proxmox host? "echo "test mail from proxmox" | mail -r my@email.com -s test my@email.com"?
  • When I try this, I see below warnings in the syslog
  • It looks like proxmox is using a (derived?) email server from my dns provider, but it has no access
  • Therefore I want to tell proxmox that it should use a specific smtp server. I have these details:
    • smtp server hostname + port
    • username, password
    • TTL settings
Basically my question is: how do I do this??

Warnings in syslog:
Code:
May 29 10:22:14 pve postfix/smtp[11269]: C07D580D37: to=<xxxx@xxxx>, relay=none, delay=428789, delays=428638/0.01/150/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to in1-smtp.messagingengine.com[66.111.4.72]:25: Connection timed out)

Last edited:
Reactions: meichthys
this is marked Solved - but I do not see what the resolution was?
I have the same question

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!