Configuration of fileserver: Should I disable automatic updates to ensure network is up 100% of the time?

virtManager

Jun 11, 2020
Hi,

I'm facing a conundrum because Proxmox makes it easy to install and run a "Turnkey (LXC) fileserver" and I have a very small low-power proxmox-pc turned on 24/7 that I want to run 1-2 VMs on in addition to pfSense. The problem I'm facing is that after weeks, the "Turnkey (LXC) fileserver" always loses it's internet connection and what good is a fileserver that cannot be reached on the network? If you would like to read into the details of this issue, I asked about it back in June: network_interface_goes_missing - but I didn't receive any answers. After having used (not much) this setup for some months I'm thinking about fixing this problem properly so I can use it for e.g. storing security camera footage and that requires high uptime/availability.

My newest theory and attempt to explain the issue is somewhat based on the "CRON-APT completed on turnkey-fileserver [/etc/cron-apt/config]" (subject line) emails I now see sometimes arrives in my gmail spam-folder. From these emails I see that turnkey-fileserver automatically runs e.g. usr/bin/apt-get -o quiet=1 dist-upgrade -y software updates - which is normally good I guess. I'm not fully into the theory of LXC/VMs and linux kernels, but the Proxmox host is in average manually being fully updated once every 2-4 months. I don't suppose the turnkey fileserver will download and perform a kernel upgrade, because as I understand it it'll use the kernel of the host? Anyway, my theory is that these turnkey updates causes the network to become unavailable until the "Turnkey (LXC) fileserver" is rebooted - which I currently do manually, when I need to access the fileserver and I realize it does not respond. That situation is annoying but I can cope with it manually. Worse yet, the situation is not appropriate for automatic storage of data via a security camera, because the camera is not as clever as I and cannot tell the fileserver to reboot...

I would like the fileserver to always work so it can be used to reliable store security footage with no downtime. I prefer a solution with automatic updates, but with no network downtime. Maybe this contradicts each other? My conclusion (=guess) so far is that if I want to be happy with the turnkey LXC fileserver and ensure 100% network uptime, I probably need to disable automatic updates. Then manually once in a while I would have to update and reboot the fileserver. Is this something you people do or recommend? I hope you see the conundrum: Do you disable automatic updates and then manually update once in a while? Do you not trust or use Turnkey fileservers at all? Or do you not even have this problem like I have? Do you recommend I instead install e.g. a debian VM and let that act as fileserver instead of using a linux container and then also use manual updates?

I'm not pleased with the current situation, so hoping for a bit of input/ideas to work on the future (sparetime project), thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!