configuration as code instead of apt-update with state storage volume

rbucker

Jun 19, 2024
I'm trying to reproduce a configuration in my ESX environment. Essentially I deploy a service/app VM which is immutable and mount/bind a mutable storage volume. Deploying upgrades is as simple as creating V2 of the VM, binding/mounting the storage volume and then stopping the old VM and starting the new. (This is a standalone ESX server)

My mission is to implement the same behavior on a Proxmox cluster, however, everything has turned upside down and now my ceph storage is corrupt which makes reliability a separate issue. When I tried Datacenter > storage and assigned the resource to the CT I could not share the resource because it was assigned to the CT. There is no way to create a disk image and make it mountable in the CT.

There was a modest mention about binding the host user's home directory... however when I created a user in the permissions PVE never created a home folder for the user in /home. And there was no example how to mount it. Lastly it would have made sense if the home folder was in the ceph folder tree so that migration would work as expected. When I tried something similar the migrate consolidated the mounted directory to the rootfs.

PS the docs are very old.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!