Compress existing data on Ceph

sahostking

Renowned Member
Hi

Is it possible to have ceph compression work on existing pools? I think since I only enable it now compression is only working with new data. How to compress existing data. I am using aggressive mode with lz4

I'm trying stopping an OSD and OUTing it then destroy data on the osd. And re-added it. In theory that sounds like it may work as new data replicated to the OSD should be compressed?

Not sure if its working.

I know I have to rewrite the data to the OSDs so I assume this may work?

Moving DISK vis NFS to a remote server then deleting it off data_ceph pool when it becomes (unused). The removing it back to data_Ceph?
Will this process work in getting the data compressed on ceph pool?

Weirdly enough I just created a new pool and started moving things onto it after enabling compression but somehow I feel its not working properly. I even used "force" and "lz4"

Code:
--- RAW STORAGE ---
CLASS    SIZE   AVAIL    USED  RAW USED  %RAW USED
ssd    38 TiB  15 TiB  23 TiB    23 TiB      60.03
TOTAL  38 TiB  15 TiB  23 TiB    23 TiB      60.03

--- POOLS ---
POOL                   ID  PGS   STORED   (DATA)   (OMAP)  OBJECTS     USED   (DATA)   (OMAP)  %USED  MAX AVAIL  QUOTA OBJECTS  QUOTA BYTES  DIRTY  USED COMPR  UNDER COMPR
device_health_metrics   1    1   73 MiB      0 B   73 MiB       35  218 MiB      0 B  218 MiB      0    922 GiB            N/A          N/A    N/A         0 B          0 B
data_ceph               3  128  2.0 TiB  2.0 TiB   44 KiB  618.59k  5.8 TiB  5.8 TiB  131 KiB  68.04    922 GiB            N/A          N/A    N/A     355 GiB      711 GiB
ceph_data               6  256  6.7 TiB  6.7 TiB  108 KiB    2.49M   17 TiB   17 TiB  324 KiB  86.45    922 GiB            N/A          N/A    N/A     3.0 TiB      6.0 TiB

Its compressing way too little and basically sitting with the same space left as before. No better it seems with compression.

Is it possible the KVM qemu-kvm is not sending a proper hint across? or something else is the issue. Or is this compression the expected amount.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!