commandline vm creation

jeanmarie

Feb 17, 2017
Hi!
I've allready searched the forum, but I cannot find the answer to (my) the question, although the question was allready asked.
I want to create a vm via command line. For this I need the exact parameters. I've created a vm via webinterface and now i'm looking for the output.
An answer suggested to create the vm via webinterface an to check the logs to see what it really do. But the logs are very quiet about what it is actually doing.
So, do I have to increase the verbosity of the logfile, or is there any other way to get the actual vm-creation commad?

thank you!

yes, sure i can go through all the options. but, as far as i understand the input on webinterface is translated to the qm command, and i would like to see what this qm command do!

yes, sure i can go through all the options. but, as far as i understand the input on webinterface is translated to the qm command, and i would like to see what this qm command do!

no. the input on the web interface is "translated" to one or more API calls. the "qm" CLI tool uses the same API internally (but obviously, the input is handled differently via HTTP(s)/JSON and CLI).

if you want to copy the parameters from a web interface request, I suggest using your browsers developer tools to record the request. in chromium, you can even copy it as cURL command line afterwards. in any case, you should see all the API parameters and their values. usually those can be translated 1 to 1 to the corresponding CLI tool, but not all API paths have CLI equivalents and vice-versa, and some parameters are handled differently on the CLI (e.g., password parameters are prompted for twice in the CLI, but are regular string parameters in the general API).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!