Comfortable CPU usage for a single node.

Shadow Sysop

Mar 7, 2021
I'm a bit new to Proxmox, so forgive me if this was already discussed. I'm wondering if there are some general guidelines concerning CPU usage on a single node. I have a 2 node cluster, one of the nodes running several VMs of different compositions (vms that are strictly databases, some are semi-busy web servers, one runs several game servers). At this time, my CPU usage for the node averages a constant 10-15% usage. I'm wondering how high this constant usage can get without performance degradation. I know there are probably many factors and specifics that will contribute to a proper answer, but I'm looking for some general guidance. I'm pretty sure I can't have that usage at a constant 90% (or can I?) and expect everything to run smoothly (I'm also constantly checking on IO delays and there seem to be no issues). So how high can the avg CPU usage get before I need to stop installing VMs to this particular node? Thanks in advanced!

I'm a bit new to Proxmox, so forgive me if this was already discussed. I'm wondering if there are some general guidelines concerning CPU usage on a single node. I have a 2 node cluster, one of the nodes running several VMs of different compositions (vms that are strictly databases, some are semi-busy web servers, one runs several game servers). At this time, my CPU usage for the node averages a constant 10-15% usage. I'm wondering how high this constant usage can get without performance degradation. I know there are probably many factors and specifics that will contribute to a proper answer, but I'm looking for some general guidance. I'm pretty sure I can't have that usage at a constant 90% (or can I?) and expect everything to run smoothly (I'm also constantly checking on IO delays and there seem to be no issues). So how high can the avg CPU usage get before I need to stop installing VMs to this particular node? Thanks in advanced!
A general answer cannot be given. As long as there is not a high amount of I/O wait ( > 10%) for a longer period system may become slow but not really "blocked". As a rough estimation I would say as tzhe idle rate is > 50% there is no reason for any concern. Constantly 90% is unusual but will not do any harm either.

Excellent. Thank you for confirming this for me. My Average Loads and IO delays are very minimal, as I manually monitor things pretty closely.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!