Cluster-wide template

davit

Nov 4, 2022
We have proxmox cluster with 3 nodes. We used to create VM template on each node and later creating new vms from those templates using
"qm clone <template_vmid> <new_vmid>"

In above case we need to keep managing 3 templates (as there are 3 nodes). So trying to see if there is way to have only 1 template which is visible for all 3 nodes and in each node we can use "qm clone" cmd to create new vm using same template ID.

I still don't fully understand what exactly you want to achieve with this. Why don't you make a template, then clone the VM and simply move it and the storage to the corresponding node?

cloning a new vm from template and then migrating to target node is taking too much time. I was trying to achieve faster solution i.e directly clone vm from template to target node (target can be any node in cluster not just node which have template)
So based on above comment we can say there are only 2 ways to do this?
1. attach NAS/NFS shared storage to nodes in cluster and keep templates there or
2. clone a new vm from template then migrate to target node

2. clone a new vm from template then migrate to target node
I think, this approach would be functionally equivalent to what you are doing now. Still moving data from one node to another, just at a different point.

The only way to speed things up is to have Shared Storage. It may be sufficient to have just shared Template storage. However, the template is still "owned" by a node, so you you can only clone to local storage on that node. You'd need two steps, migrate Template to target node, then clone it locally.

If you have Shared Storage for both Template and VM images, then you can make fast clones to any node.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!