Cluster Management Server

FalkoH

Oct 10, 2020
So here is the plan:

I want to build a Proxmox server cluster and currently have 2 virtualization servers.

The thing is, these are test machines and I tinker with them a lot.
So they are reinstalled from time to time.

My plan is: I want to get a "low power" Atom based 1U server and install Proxmox on it and use it as a so called "cluster manager".
This thing doesn't need to be able to virtualize or anything like that. Just run the Cluster. To my knowledge it should be possible, right?

All servers get a 1Gbit uplink to the internet and the two PVEs get a 10Gbit interconnect.
So no 10Gbit connection between the manager and PVEs. Will this be a bottleneck?

Is this doable or a big no no?
Like to hear your ideas!

If you want manage your cluster as Vmware vCenter, Proxmox can not do that.. Because vCenter or Ovirt system working on Data center plane but proxmox working on Cluster plane... So firstly you not need any management software for Proxmox Cluster ,Proxmox Hypervisor Web interface enough for this.. but when that exacly enought and where is problem ? Problem is when you start use Hyperconverged storage solition on Proxmox or HA feature on Proxmox; Promox cluster system and proxmox hyperconverged ( Ceph, GlusterFS etc... ) all system want minimum 3 node caused of splite braine or real redundancy so if you will use shared storage system then you wll fix HA feature with two high performance and one low level performance node but if you will think use hypercoverged solition then you need min 3 node...

So where you want fix with that 3rd. node ?

by the way, with GlusterFS you can use 3rd node as arbitter then also you can use Hyperconvarged solition with two high performance and one low level performance node but GlusterFS working on file plane so speed maybe not enought for you...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!