CIFS Based CT & VMs not working

drooz

Jun 16, 2020
So I looked almost everywhere with my little experience I can't seem to understand the issue. I have a dedicated server from hetzner with 500GB storage box. I used to boot VMs from the storage box in the past by adding the storage box as CIFS. Today I tried to do it. Oh god, Ubuntu started to throw IO errors trying to set it up. So tried the simpler way I tried to create a CT. No luck
run_buffer: 314 Script exited with status 255
lxc_init: 798 Failed to run lxc.hook.pre-start for container "107"
__lxc_start: 1945 Failed to initialize container "107"
TASK ERROR: startup for container '107' failed

So I did a rocky move. I said it is clear that it is a disk configuration issue. So I backed up a VM running on the local SSD and I restored it on the CIFS. it worked. it booted up a bit sluggish even though the storage box is in the same data center with a really really low ping. I am pretty sure that I am missing something here. Can you please help me a little bit here?

I have the same problem: Added a CIFS share, selected "Container" als content, installed a LXC, but when I try to start it: "r
un_buffer: 322 Script exited with status 5
lxc_init: 844 Failed to run lxc.hook.pre-start for container "407"
__lxc_start: 2027 Failed to initialize container "407"
TASK ERROR: startup for container '407' failed""

Any ideas?

Hetzner StorageBox as a backup target is completely fine. As a mount for the PBS, yes, you can do it, it's not cool. But using it as VM storage is an absolute no-go. I never perceived the StorageBox as high-performance and highly available. It's annoying how often maintenance is announced.

@MisterY If you don't use a Hetzner storage box, then you don't have the same problem. Please create your own thread and don't take over someone else's.

Hi,
I have the same problem: Added a CIFS share, selected "Container" als content, installed a LXC, but when I try to start it: "r
un_buffer: 322 Script exited with status 5
lxc_init: 844 Failed to run lxc.hook.pre-start for container "407"
__lxc_start: 2027 Failed to initialize container "407"
TASK ERROR: startup for container '407' failed""

Any ideas?
this is likely: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4499 Run it with pct start 407 --debug to see if it is that error. It's recommended to use NFS (or other) instead of CIFS for container images. Otherwise, you likely need to run pct fsck 407 first each time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!