Choose MAC/LAN-Port at setup

zeropage

Feb 6, 2022
I am new to PVE and would like to install it on my barebone PC Shuttle DS10U. The device has two LAN ports and - as usual - with one MAC address each. But during the setup of Proxmox is always displayed only one MAC address. Even when the LAN cable is plugged into the port of the other. This is a problem especially with DHCP static lease.

Example:

Port 1: xx.xx.xx.xx.3f (connected to switch VLAN port).
Port 2: xx.xx.xx.xx.40

During setup, xx.xx.xx.xx.40 is always displayed and also transmitted to the DHCP server. Only the name is once "eno1" and the other time "enps0". I do not understand this at all. Could someone please explain this to me?

Thanks und advance.

First idea that came to my mind was, that the second one is just IPMI or something, but from the specsheet it seems, that these are not two fully independent ports anyway:
1) Intel i211 Ethernet Controller mit MAC, PHY und PCIe-Schnittstelle
2) Intel i219LM PHY verbunden mit dem MAC des Prozessors
Maybe it can be configured as such, maybe not. Check BIOS Settings if it can be configured or the manual how to do that (if possible at all).

Two interfaces are displayed in the BIOS, both can be enabled or disabled. In the meantime I tried to install Debian instead of Proxmox on the barebone PC. During the installation I am asked for a device driver. This should be a driver for the Realtek LAN interface.

I then did not pursue this further because I would have to make another USB stick with the driver. Proxmox did not ask me for such a driver during setup. I will use it without a second network interface for now.

My concern was that I had a hardware problem. Now I am a little reassured.

Last edited:
This should be a driver for the Realtek LAN interface.
Realtek should be the wifi device, the both ports are wired to the intel chip. Some googleing around did not give any more info.

Proxmox did not ask me for such a driver during setup. I will use it without a second network interface for now.
Yeah, maybe after you ran the updates it could give more insight (or drivers).

ip a && lspci -v

ip a:
Code:
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether xx:xx:xx:xx:7f:40 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp0s31f6
3: enp1s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
4: wlp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether ec:2e:98:d1:fc:cf brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
5: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    inet 192.168.x.x/24 scope global vmbr0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 fe80::x:x:x:7f40/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

lspci -v
Code:
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (6) I219-LM (rev 30)
        DeviceName: Onboard - Ethernet
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (6) I219-LM
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 127
        Memory at a1400000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Kernel driver in use: e1000e
        Kernel modules: e1000e

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer I211 Gigabit Network Connection
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
        Memory at a1300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
        I/O ports at 4000 [size=32]
        Memory at a1320000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+
        Capabilities: [70] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=5 Masked-
        Capabilities: [a0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number x-x-x-x-x-x-7f-40
        Capabilities: [1a0] Transaction Processing Hints
        Kernel driver in use: igb
        Kernel modules: igb

02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
        Subsystem: AzureWave RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 140
        I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
        Memory at a1200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [148] Device Serial Number x-x-x-x-x-x-22-01
        Capabilities: [158] Latency Tolerance Reporting
        Capabilities: [160] L1 PM Substates
        Kernel driver in use: rtw_8822ce
        Kernel modules: rtw88_8822ce

Ok, as guessed realtek is wifi.

But the I219-LM is really strange with the same MAC-Address. Never seen that before. :confused:

Edit: Really strange idea: Could it be that this second port is a sort of hardwired bond(-mode) to the first NIC? That would explain only one MAC. The idea came to mind, as I saw LOWER_UP as a flag.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!