[SOLVED] changing USB Drives to same mountpoint

DrillSgtErnst

Jun 29, 2020
HI,
unfortunately I have found no matching Post in this Forum, if you may provide a link to a thread I will dig in it myself.

Till then.
I want to backup my Proxmox offsite via usb Disk. I have a G-Dock ev Solo (see also Manufacturer Description)
Now I have 7 2TB HDD drives.
Monday-Friday, one Friday odd week number, one Friday even week number, and one per month.

Soo every Drive is made to a large ext4 disk with mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda (where sda is the corresponding letter, since it is indeed the only SATA drive in the host)
Ideally I would want the drives to be mounted by themselves.
I created a Directory in Proxmox for Backup via Datacenter > Storage and made it VZDump pathing to /mnt/backup
If I manually run
mount /dev/sda /mnt/backup
I can see it mounted, I can backup onto it, I can unmount it and it correctly vanishes, I can mount with the same mount again and see and restore the backups again.
So far so good.
Now I would like to make all Disks mount automatically on insert to /mnt/backup

I found some people doing it with editing /etc/fstab and a mount by uuid. But I am not sure, if I should edit /etc/fstab
I read some people not being able to boot afterwards and I really don't want to fuck up my PVE.

I tried the gloryfied pve6-usb-automount but it really just does not do anythin on my new 6.3-3 machine. none of the drives is getting recognized by the automount (rebooted naturally after install)

Many guides or topics only have one USB Disk and are old. I really want an easy solution.

I could just run the mount via cron at 10PM, while the Backup starts 10:30PM, and umount at like 8AM .
But tbh I don't really like this way either. I think it's a bit unclean.

So I really hope someone here has some better way.

Feel free to explain it a bit, I really want to learn why I am doing certain commands and not just copy paste your solution.

EDIT:
I am SO SO SO sorry.
I am a big buffoon.
I unplugged the G-Dock, plugged it back in an e voilá the Disks automatically get mounted as /media/sda
Backup and restore works. Props to the pve-usb-automount crew

Last edited:
Reactions: meichthys

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!