Changing lan - add network device?

Mattias Hedman

Jan 19, 2019
I am about to change IP-number on my LAN where the Proxmox server is and all it's guests.
Reason is that the network is becoming full... what is the best way to go about his?

The server is going to be on it's own vlan, vbr0 and vbr1 is going to be on another vlan.
The guests will be on different vlans.

Should I on the guest and a network device with the new vlan and ip?
And the same with the server in itself, make a new interfaces file and activate it?

The cable that goes to Proxmox has to carry all VLANs in a trunk.
Vmbr0 and vmbr1 should probably be vlan-aware then, then you can add the vlan tag at every VMs network definition tab.
For the host you can either use the native vlan of the trunk or define a sub-interface like vmbr0.xx
All this can be done through the GUI or in /etc/network/interfaces, just as you like or feel capable.

Reactions: Mattias Hedman
Be aware though that changing the primary address of a Proxmox host is somewhat delicate. Don't do it, if it's a cluster.
And if it's not, still change the address in /etc/hosts (second line).

Reactions: Mattias Hedman
Be aware though that changing the primary address of a Proxmox host is somewhat delicate. Don't do it, if it's a cluster.
And if it's not, still change the address in /etc/hosts (second line).
It is not a cluster, yet, this ougth to be the first member of a cluster, that is why I am changing Ip-addresses to get everything right.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!