change VM root password from GUI

naja7host

May 15, 2009
is nice to see a feature that allow admins change VM rrot password from GUI rather than enter to ssh or the console , and API command for it also .

For VMs there is no simple way to achieve that, as the OS isn't known to the host and could be anything (Linux, BSD, Windows, Solaris, Haiku, Custom OS/kernel, anything...).
So no general way to authenticate you in the guest (wouldn't be good if you simply could execute root commands in any VM, not every use case is like yours, some may need an secure environment for their VM where you cannot manipulate it from the outside - besides deleting it). And also no general way to change the password, also not every OS has an user 'root' as their root.

For Container it is already possible, although not through the API.

For Container it is already possible, although not through the API.

my real attention does for Containers . how we could change the root password from the GUI ?
is a good feature to allow root pasword change for containers via the API .

You already can set the root password from the GUI at the container creation time.
Out of curiosity why the need to change it more often from the outside?

You already can set the root password from the GUI at the container creation time.
Out of curiosity why the need to change it more often from the outside?

i'm not talking about the creation proccess .

sometimes , we forget the CT root password, or the client can't log to their CT , and every time we ned to enter the CT to change the password .

all the other Platform has this possibility to change the root password outside the CT .

SolusVm , Vmware ....

Which VMware product do you refer here exactly? I am asking because I do not know this feature in vSphere esxi.

Which VMware product do you refer here exactly? I am asking because I do not know this feature in vSphere esxi.

what i know we can change linux vm wtih the vcloud api . i have not tested .
onapp also has this by thier API .
interroute also hs this via thier API .

i'm working in a module or blesta , and i found some feature that are not available in proxmox .

in V4 the API url for openvz type will be removed and replcaed by other url for LXC or it will remain ?

Reactions: guo9310
virtualizor also has this feature .
hello :) im trying to achieve something similar with pyproxmox and whmcs as im currently testing virtualizor - it works and there are lots of interesting features but unfortunately I dont feel safe using them. I want answers from their support but they constantly ask me for root passwords for the vm hosts which is okay but i want to know what is going on under the hood and not just: its fixed. thanks. :) Also i've been testing proxmox from quite some times and VMA backup tool is far superior than what they provide, and till this point it didnt let me down. so anyway there are 2 key features with virtualior i also want to copy somehow - the root pasword change as you requested and also they have these recipe templates which are basically custom bash scripts you can prepare for the client before he creates his VM (works for openvz, and even kvm and xen) but i think the key there is that they provide custom repository with ISOs of all common linux distributions and I guess they injected something there which will make the appliance virtualizor compatible so it can recieve commands and scripts from it, while proxmox is much more general-purpouse. I'm not sure if it will be technically possible to achieve this with regular isos especially on kvm. still maybe the proxmox gurus could have some ideas here :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!