Change from local-lvm to local storage

David Serarols

Feb 15, 2018
Igualada
Hi,

I have recently installed a Proxmox 4.4-18/ef2610e8 node in a existing cluster. Our node has a 8 TB disc, but I realised that our storage is like this:

local: 100 GB
local-lvm : (almost) 8 TB

Since the other nodes on the cluster have storage type local, we would prefer this new node will be the same.

How can I erase this local-lvm and transfer all space to local storage?

There is not any VM in the node, so I think it must be easy.

Any suggestion?

Yes that is possible. First remove the existing LVM-Thin:
Code:
lvremove pve/data
Then create an normal lvm on existing group. For example:
Code:
lvcreate -L 755.96G -n data pve
Format it:
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/pve/data
Mount it in the fstab. The mounttarget must be empy, so delete everything in there.
Code:
/dev/pve/data /var/lib/vz ext4 defaults 0 2
rm -rf /var/lib/vz/* && mount -a
After all create you normal directorystorge.

Reactions: bXunter
Hi Fireon,

Thank you very much!

So if I have correctly understood your instructions, after peform these commands I'll have an only storage type local (ZFS)?

I attach what I have now. I would like to have just a storage with all my space (8 TB) type local (ZFS).

Again...thank you!

Attachments

• Captura de 2018-02-16 10-00-08.png
    Captura de 2018-02-16 10-00-08.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 156
So if I have correctly understood your instructions, after peform these commands I'll have an only storage type local (ZFS)?
No ZFS. You have an normal EXT4 local Storage. You would like ZFS instead?

I attach what I have now. I would like to have just a storage with all my space (8 TB) type local (ZFS).
What now? ZFS or local storage with ext4.
You an cluster so you must have the same storageformat here. Otherwise you are not able to migrate VMs.

Sorry, I am a really newbie at Proxmox. Indeed I didn't provide valid information.

I'll try to explain again:

We had a Proxmox cluster with three nodes, all running 4.4-18/ef2610e8 version. Nodes one, two and three had a storage type local (I am not sure if this is a specific filesystem); please note that their storage is not local-lvm. Pic attached.

I recently added a new node (Lizard05) but I realised that its storege was local and local-lvm. The problem is that all my space (around 8 TB) is on local-lvm and this is not working for me because I can not migrate VM from other nodes.

So, I would like to know a procedure to remove lizard05 local-lvm and use this free space in lizard05 local. There is any VM machine in this node, I think I can do that without installing again Proxmon on my host machine.

I hope this explanation is better than the first one :)

Regards!
David

Attachments

• Proxmox cluster.png
    Proxmox cluster.png
    44 KB · Views: 89
Look at my first post, that is your answer. Delete LVM-Thin and make it is normal LVM with ext4.

Thank you very much for your comments, fireon. I am going to try this procedure.

One more question: is there any risk at performig this for the rest of nodes of the cluster? Do you recommend me I remove the node from the cluster before I change the storage?

Regards!
David

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!