Certain truncated clients on physical switch not accessible from PVE or VMs

kaeomc

Jan 14, 2023
I'm having no luck connecting to certain devices connected to my physical switch from the PVE shell, and other Ubuntu VMs. Here's the whole picture:

Modem -> Proxmox (running OpnSense & Ubuntu for an Omada Controller via Docker) <-> 2 Netgear switches

switch_ports.png

Everything is working fine from the OpnSense VM. I can ping the 3 WAPs (Netgear-1 ports 1-3) from any of the workstations and servers not involved with Proxmox, but from Proxmox itself and the Ubuntu VM, I get no reply not only from the 3 WAPs but neither switch returns a reply either. The Ubuntu instance shares a network bridge (vmbr2, VLAN aware) with the OpnSense VM, and the Ubuntu end is tagged with VLAN 10. This allows Ubuntu to connect to any other client on the network (such as both workstations and the at.home server). VLAN 10 is my trusted, unhindered network. Rules below:

1673865625240.png

My only lead is that the WAPs are all on truncated VLANS, and proxmox also being on truncated VLANS has caused some sort of networking problem. I'm uncertain how to move forward. I suppose I can check that this is the issue, by giving my Ubuntu VM a bridge to the unused motherboard port, and plugging that into my switch, tagging it appropriately, and seeing if that will get a response from the WAPs (which I'll do once I get home), but I can only hope there's a more convenient way through configurations.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Proxmox interfaces:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp5s0 inet manual
#MB Ethernet

iface enp1s0f0 inet manual
#Intel I350 (Far port)

iface enp1s0f1 inet manual
#Intel I350 (Close port)

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.1/24
        bridge-ports enp5s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp1s0f0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094
#Modem

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports enp1s0f1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094
#Switch / LAN

auto vmbr2.10
iface vmbr2.10 inet static
        address 192.168.10.51/24
#PVE GUI

Attachments

• 1673865970108.png
    1673865970108.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Okay, so issuing my unused eth port to the ubuntu VM and plugging it into a VLAN 10 tagged port on my switch does allow me to ping the WAPs and my switches. I guess this is leaving me questioning my (basic) knowledge on switches. Why are the VMs & PVE on the virtual bridge not able to communicate directly with the truncated devices on the physical switches, while they can communicate with the untruncated, tagged devices on the switch? The VM can even ping devices connected through the WAPs, just not the WAPs themselves. Curious.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!