Certain network requests error only inside VMs.

Dor

Oct 19, 2018
Hey,

I have Proxmox 5.2 installed on NUC for over a month and everything work fine.
In the recent days, I decided to create a new workstation VM machine, and noticed something strange.
Certain network request doesn't get finished at all, and it only occurs in VMs inside Proxmox. A specific Github request loads forever and doesn't finish. I couldn't even register to the forum inside the VM, but most of the network requests do work.

The network requests I've found so far:
  • Go to any Github repo, with Adblock, uBlock, Ghostery or anything similar disabled. You should see a network requests with the following url: collector.githubapp.com - the requests loads forever until I get empty response in the browser.
  • A simple registration to this forum doesn't work. The register page do work, but when I'm trying to complete it, I get "Check your internet connection" error.
Here is where I've tried to do the same requests:
  • Proxmox - Fresh Arch Linux installation (This is where I've first noticed the issue) - doesn't work.
  • Proxmox - Fresh Ubuntu Desktop installation - doesn't work.
  • PC - Windows 10 - works fine
  • VirtualBox - Fresh Ubuntu installation - work fine.
I can reproduce the issue both with the latest Firefox and Chrome versions, and after waiting long enough I just get an empty response (which is not what it should be).
This is the examples I have for now, I'll try to find more and post them.

Thanks,

Dor

does it work from the proxmox host? if not, maybe a broken cable/port/nic? or it could be a mtu issue?

It does work in the Proxmox host, and all the devices I mentioned earlier use the same MTU (1500).
I used wget to make the request, then tested it again on the VM, but now with wget.
wget worked without a problem. Seems like the problem occurs only when the browsers make the request, weird.

Do you have any idea what could cause this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!