[SOLVED] Ceph, systemd and Killmode=none

Hi,

I am receiving the following message when restarting a node (so restarting ceph and osds on the node):

Code:
systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/ceph-volume@.service:8: Unit configured to use KillMode=none. This is unsafe, as it disables systemd's process lifecycle management for the service. Please update your service to use a safer KillMode=, such as 'mixed' or 'control-group'. Support for KillMode=none is deprecated and will eventually be removed.

I'm on the latest non-enterprise update.

Is there a way to solve/silence it?

Thank you.

it's just a deprecation warning, it will go away once the Ceph units are updated to no longer trigger it, but it's of no concern at the moment.

Reactions: Urbaman
I'm still seeing this in the syslogs (Nov 2023) so for what it's worth you can silence the error with
Code:
sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/ceph-volume@.service
Locate the line KillMode=none and change it to mixedor control-group. Make this change on all your CEPH nodes. When you're done, don't forget to run the command sudo systemctl daemon-reload.

Last edited:
Just checking what the recommendation is in Jan '24 .. do nothing or update ceph-volume@.service? If its update I am assuming its
Code:
killMode=mixed

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!