[SOLVED] Ceph sending data through wrong interface

Nikuuuuu

Jan 5, 2022
Hello

I have a 3 node cluster running with ceph. Each server has the internal 1gbe nic for management and a 10gbe nic for the ceph/vm network.
It was all generated through the gui.
For some reason all my ceph traffic is going through my 1gbe nics instead of my 10gbe nics so migrations are limited to 125MB/s.
Is there a way to change this? I don't see any settings in the gui and I don't remember getting the option to select the interface, only set the network (which I set to my 10gbe network).
I don't mind going through the cli if I need to.

My management network is 192.168.100.0/24 (vmbr0) [1gbe]
My ceph/vm network is 10.0.0.0/24 (vmbr1) [10gbe]

My ceph global config:

[global]
auth_client_required = cephx
auth_cluster_required = cephx
auth_service_required = cephx
cluster_network = 10.0.0.250/24
fsid = 162d06c7-25e0-4f6a-a978-7e0cd1abadd6
mon_allow_pool_delete = true
mon_host = 10.0.0.250 10.0.0.248 10.0.0.249
ms_bind_ipv4 = true
ms_bind_ipv6 = false
osd_pool_default_min_size = 2
osd_pool_default_size = 3
public_network = 10.0.0.250/24

Thanks

I just noticed that my cluster_network is set to the interface ip 10.0.0.250/24 instead of the actual network 10.0.0.0/24
Could this be the issue?

I think I realized that my problem is not ceph.
Ceph is working correctly and is actually going through my 10gbe nics and I was not looking at the problem correctly.
The problem I am having is that when doing a live migration, it takes the state of the vm from memory and migrates that over the 1gbe network.

Changing the Migration Settings network to the correct interface fixed the performance issues
It can be found in Datacenter -> Options -> Migration Settings -> Network

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!