ceph object storage

powersupport

Jan 18, 2020
Hi,
Can we use our Proxmox ceph as object storage? if so, how can it enable?

Thank you

With that, you leave the realm of what can be done via the Proxmox VE tooling, and you need to interact directly with the Ceph cluster. What do you mean with object storage? S3? Then check the Ceph documentation. I think https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/radosgw/s3/ should be a start.

Hi aaron
Do we need to create separate ceph cluster or it can be done within the existing ceph setup in proxmox

Hi aaron
Do we need to create separate ceph cluster or it can be done within the existing ceph setup in proxmox
I have not done it myself, but it should be fine doing it on the existing Ceph cluster. It might be a good idea to create a separate pool for that.
Since this is not something used by Proxmox VE, knowledge here in the forum might be limited, and you will most likely need to consult the Ceph communities / mailing lists if you have some issues.

Hi @aaron ,

May i know if proxmox will be adding Object Storage into the Proxmox VE tooling in the future?

David
AFAICT this is not on the roadmap as it is not needed by Proxmox VE itself.

While there is no plan to integrate the management of the Rados GW (providing the S3 compatible API) into the Proxmox VE tooling and GUI, you can still set it up with Ceph running on Proxmox VE. All the packages needed should be available.

I have not tried it myself, but there is a user provided guide on the Proxmox VE wiki: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/User:Grin/Ceph_Object_Gateway

Reactions: stalker
Im gonna check this out as well.

Also, having this integrated into proxmox would be like getting past the last boss in the ultimate level in newgame+ :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!