Ceph Jewel: documentation error or subscription problem?

MikeUB

Jan 9, 2017
Hello everyone,

right now we are in the process of evaluating Proxmox with Ceph storage in a small cluster (6-8 hosts).
We did our test install according to the Wiki, specifically this page: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Server

However, the pveceph tool on the latest install ISO (downloaded a few days ago) does not recognize the parameter to select ceph versions, i.e.
pveceph install -version jewel
It only offers the "hammer" release, which is quite old. So we installed the hammer release and then (before cluster generation) followed the Wiki docs to upgrade to Jewel. While that seemed to work, it pretty much broke PVE Ceph. For example we could not add OSDs etc.

I just need to confirm: is this due to the fact that we do not have a subscription (yet) and therefore may be missing updates? If yes, is there a workaround for test environments?
We are an academic institution and subscriptions mean a lot of red tape for us. While we are perfectly happy to get them once we are in production, it is very difficult to get one "just" for testing.

Regards
Mike

by default, only the enterprise repository (for which you need a subscription) is configured.

you can get newer version without a subscription (see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories)
but these packages may not be as tested as the ones in pve-enterprise

as for your ceph problem:

the guide explicitly says you have to run the newest pve version, which it seems you don't

hmm, I must have missed that part about the repos. Thanks for the bump in the right direction. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!