Can't login with console (noVNC)

Henrique

Feb 8, 2016
Hey there!

I'm having a weird problem with my Proxmox server. I can't login to any of my virtual machines/containers using the console. I tried logging in with root, inserted my password, and I always get an error. I even tried to reset the password to 123456, and couldn't login...

If I connect over SSH, I can perfectly login with my password.

Any idea what might be?

Thanks!

What template are you using and what console do you get conntected to? You can only login as root on trusted consoles (iow. listed in /etc/securetty).
With some template console might be getting spawned on different device nodes.

Oh that makes sense. I'm using the CentOS template, but it was working until a few days ago, I don't think I changed anything on the template. Do you know how can I fix it?

Which CentOS version? You can either add the consoles you get logged on to to /etc/securetty or see if you have a container-getty@.service with a`pts/%I` you can replace with `lxc/tty%I`

Try adding a few lxc/tty1, lxc/tty2, ... entries

So, I need to do it for every single container and VPS I create? Or there is a way to automate that?

The weird thing is that it was working fine before.

Do you have any idea how to set up this automatically every time I create a new container? Do I need to create my own template?

There are some inconsistencies there between distributions (versions), templates, what we setup automatically. (Eg. automatically changing systemd's container-getty@.service as I suggested above. Code for this is already in my queue).
We're going to work on this part of the automatic setup a bit more, so this should generally improve in the future.

this issue mostly seems for centos 7 templates , centos 6 no issues so far
login to container
vi /etc/security/console.perms
comment the console permissions
probably
#<console>=tty[0-9][0-9]* vc/[0-9][0-9]* :[0-9]+\.[0-9]+ :[0-9]+
#<xconsole>=:[0-9]+\.[0-9]+ :[0-9]+

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!