Can't boot Windows VM Error: Use of uninitialized value $tpmpid

biotecher

Jul 29, 2021
I have 4 HDD scsi2-5, all 5 USB ports filled with passthroughs, and I just connected 2x nvme to the VM by passing through the PCI device.

Oct 22 11:00:31 pve pvedaemon[7306]: Use of uninitialized value $tpmpid in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm line 5465.
Oct 22 11:00:31 pve pvedaemon[7306]: stopping swtpm instance (pid ) due to QEMU startup error
Oct 22 11:00:31 pve systemd[1]: 100.scope: Succeeded.
Oct 22 11:00:31 pve pvedaemon[7281]: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

It booted fine before adding the extra nvme devices, is this some kind of limitation on devices attached or what should I do?

Last edited:
Ran manual command line start, got more detailed error message saying an HDD could not be found.

Found out that by using the nvme slot on my motherboard, it disabled SATA 5/6. According to the diagram in the manual the numbers increase horizontally not vertically like I thought. After connecting to correct slot, Windows VM boots normally again. Needed lots of reboots.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!