Can't add hardware to existing server

JTI

Feb 8, 2021
Dear,

We are running a Proxmox server on a HP Z600, their is a card with one M.2 5xx GB connected.
And still 3 slots free to add M.2, now i'm trying to put in the second one if i do the storage is not available in Proxmox and my VM's are running on that.
How can i resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Joni Timmermans

ow i'm trying to put in the second one if i do the storage is not available in Proxmox
what do you mean by that? if you add disks you must somehow initialize them (with e.g. partitions/filesystem/etc)

what do you mean by that? if you add disks you must somehow initialize them (with e.g. partitions/filesystem/etc)
So i have a card in the server where i can put 4 M.2 SSD's their is one configured. All my VM's are running on that M.2, but i want to expand storage so i add another M.2 when i do that the storage is not valid anymore for Proxmox server.

hat the storage is not valid anymore for Proxmox server.
what do you mean by that? does it not show up anymore?
maybe it is some kind of raid controller that does something to the drives? a little more info would be good so that we can help

what do you mean by that? does it not show up anymore?
maybe it is some kind of raid controller that does something to the drives? a little more info would be good so that we can help
Dear,
It shows up in Proxmox with a "?" next to it.
I cant boot the VM's either.

The card we use is a Asus Hyper M.2 X16 Card V2

please post the output of 'dmesg' when it is working and one when it is not working, that way we can see
what drives get initialized...

So I am assuming you have a pcie card that has four m.2 slots? If that is the setup then to be able to run more then one m.2 on that pcie card your bios must support bifurcation and must have it enabled for it to work.

Reactions: dcsapak
So I am assuming you have a pcie card that has four m.2 slots? If that is the setup then to be able to run more then one m.2 on that pcie card your bios must support bifurcation and must have it enabled for it to work.
Correct i will take a closer look at this.
Thx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!