[SOLVED] Can't access proxmox machine with short hostname

random_dude

Mar 26, 2021
Hi there,

Just installed proxmox, configured dhcp, but for some reason i cant access it with short host name (proxmox).
Connecting via ip or fqdn (proxmox.*isp domain*) works fine.

What am i doing wrong?
My setup is router with inbuilt dns at 192.168.0.1, proxmox machine at 192.168.0.104 (static dhcp ip assigned from router).
I also have raspberry pi on my network at 192.168.0.2, which i can access via short hostname (im pretty sure i didnt even have to do anything, it just works).

First, don't use DHCP for your proxmox host. Use static IPs.

Second, did you set your DNS local server to resolve "proxmox" to your LAN IP? If not, you can set your local PC's "hosts" file to point to it.

First, don't use DHCP for your proxmox host. Use static IPs.

Second, did you set your DNS local server to resolve "proxmox" to your LAN IP? If not, you can set your local PC's "hosts" file to point to it.
It is static, i just set it in my router, instead of proxmox machine itself.
I did, but nothing changed. Setting it in hosts file is not what i want.

I think i finally figured it out. Short hostname works for pi, because it has mDNS enabled.
So i did the same, configured and enabled systemd-resolved. Now it works for proxmox too.

God bless RedHat.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!